Rear shock has a wet look

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear shock has a wet look

I noticed the other day a wet spot und my truck in the driveway and didn't think too much of it as I thought maybe some condensation collected and dripped off. Then I noticed it again at work and humidity had not been in the forcast for a long time. When I looked under my driver side shock had a wet look and the wet spot on the ground was directly below it. So off to f150online.com to see what to get. I searched around and it seems that something from Rancho or Bilstein seems popular, I don't want to spend a fortune, but am Ok with something better than stock.

Why I'm here is that I have a specific situation that I'd like to address if possible with the shock replacement. I haul wood... when I haul... it's piled on till it falls off or has about an inch or two of suspension travel when I bounce on it... whichever comes first. So I don't want to put shocks on and then have them blown out by hauling wood a year later. Should I be concerned with this at all? or What if anything can be accounted for before I make a purchase? Which models might serve my need specifically (hauling A LOAD, and hauling nothing)? Thanks.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive got Bilstein 5100's all around on my truck and it rides great with or without a load. I haul scrap metal on a weekly basis with the average load of 1000-1500 lbs. they've been on the truck for about a year now and it still rides just as good as the day ive put em on

Old 07-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For your use, I'd get a pair of coil-over shocks to help with the load. They'll vie you extra support and travel when hauling loads. About $130/pair at NAPA or other parts places.

Quick Reply: Rear shock has a wet look