Airbag Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010 | 12:10 PM
|
Airbag Opinions

'04 FX4 Scab....

I have a 2" AS and 285/65 going on this next weekend (if I can get to it). I only tow a few times a year, but when I do its either a car hauling or a 23' boat. Seems to me that with the level and fairly heavy toolbox, my rear will sag pretty good on a tow ~5,000#.

My question: I found a set of firestone airbags for sale for <$100. They seem to be in great shape. This seems like a killer deal, so I'm wonder, if I'll need them in the future and if so, should I snag them now and hang onto them, or is that a fairly common second-hand price I could find at a later time?

Thanks for the input!

Old 12-06-2010 | 03:20 PM
I can not comment on the price of used air bags (guessing thats a fair price). However, I would say the tool box is not going to play too much of a part in the rear sagging, especially since its forward of the axle. With my 2.5 leveling kit I have towed a 23" center console many times and its not bad. How much does the rear currently drop when you tow? I am asking this because different boat/trailer combinations are more tongue heavy than others.

Old 12-10-2010 | 12:21 AM
|
Not sure yet... the truck is still pretty new (to me) so I haven't had anything heavy behind it still. The car hauler + car is about a 500lb tongue weight. There is alot of rake as it is, and I only got the 2" AS so I hope it won't be too bad.

Old 12-10-2010 | 12:54 AM
Decent price. Is it just the bags or does it have all the hardware specific to your truck? I got some for less than $50 but the brackets were for a different truck so I just made my own. Absolutely no sagging for me anymore.

Old 12-10-2010 | 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by gsea
Not sure yet... the truck is still pretty new (to me) so I haven't had anything heavy behind it still. The car hauler + car is about a 500lb tongue weight. There is alot of rake as it is, and I only got the 2" AS so I hope it won't be too bad.
I think you will be in good shape as is. Down the road if your not happy with it, just get an AAL.

Quick Reply: Airbag Opinions