New Shocks for 2002 FX4 SCrew

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010 | 06:19 PM
|
Truck of the Month
Question New Shocks for 2002 FX4 SCrew

Alright everyone. I know there's a ton of info out there and I've read a lot of it. Just wanted to get more specific application info. First, here's what my setup is:

2002 F-150 SuperCrew FX4

20x10 Wheels with 305/55/20 (33") Trail Grapplers (45 psi)

Torsion Bars cranked to get closer to level (Only suspension mod other than aftermarket shocks)

I think that covers most of the necessary background. So I currently have KYB Gas-A-Just shocks. They have a little over 60,000 miles on them. Not sure exactly how much wear and tear they have on them or if they need to be replaced. But here's the deal, I know I've really done everything possible to ruin any kind of comfort in the front end with the cranked torsion bars, 20" wheels, and stiff tires (E rated) running at 45psi. But I'm curious, is there a better shock I could be using for my application? I still want it to drive like a truck, but it seems like these shocks don't have enough travel, like they're too short. The evidence I have of this is the washer that goes above the rubber bushing and under the top nut, has actually caved a bit and the place I take it to told me this is caused by the shock reaching its max as its trying to recoil. Thats what it feels like too. When I hit a drop or seam in the road, it feels like the front end is being yanked down and feels like I have no absorption. Does that make sense? Is this just a product of my combos in the front or can I do something to help?

Secondary question, does my cranked torsion bars count as "lift"? When looking at some shocks, it says for use only with lifted trucks. Thanks!

Old 12-12-2010 | 10:01 PM
Bilstiens are the best you can get. And no, you still need OEM length shocks.

Old 12-12-2010 | 10:33 PM
|
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by wandell
Bilstiens are the best you can get. And no, you still need OEM length shocks.
Thanks Wandell. What difference should I expect with those? Will it absorb better to where things arent as jarring? And also, which ones can I get? I hear everyone rave about the 5100's but that's one I run into that mentions for lifted applications. Thanks again for your help!

Quick Reply: New Shocks for 2002 FX4 SCrew