Truck rides rough as hell. Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Truck rides rough as hell. Help

I have a 2005 FX4 Screw. It rides rough as hell. My cousin has an 06 Lariat Screw 4x4, it rides smooth as hell. Did they come with different shocks or something? My truck has 80,000 miles. Is it time to replace? I dont have much travel at all. I can not even hardly push the *** end down while jumping on the bumper. It rattles my teeth on bumps, and its like I can feel every little groove in the road. It sucks, any suggestions?

Old 12-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Tire pressure is A-OK. To give you an idea, of how it is my center console and my dashboard sound like they got tourettes when I go over railroad tracks.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:16 PM
Between the two trucks, the FX4 should have came with Rancho shocks (this may have changed on 04+, but I know my 03 FX4 had them). However I do not think the difference between the two is your problem.

What load range tires are you running?
Also, any chance you have a leveling kit that goes between the coil spring essentially adding preload to the coil (not the same as a spacer that goes on top the whole assembly) or an add a leaf?

At 80K it probably would not hurt to go ahead and start looking into new shocks as well as inspecting your front end components, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:38 PM
I keep looking for an answer, but I keep reading that it is supposed to be rough....Im not expecting it to ride like a cadillac, but it literally rattles the whole interior of my truck. Its really bugging the **** out of me. My tires are 33" Nitto trail grapplers with 18" xd wheels, but it rode worse when I had the factory 20" and pirelli scorpions. I dont have a leveling kit or add a leaf. It actually does really good in mudholes and trail bumps, but on pavement it feels like im riding in a 2 ton skateboard.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by PaulBlackFX4
I keep looking for an answer, but I keep reading that it is supposed to be rough....Im not expecting it to ride like a cadillac, but it literally rattles the whole interior of my truck. Its really bugging the **** out of me. My tires are 33" Nitto trail grapplers with 18" xd wheels, but it rode worse when I had the factory 20" and pirelli scorpions. I dont have a leveling kit or add a leaf. It actually does really good in mudholes and trail bumps, but on pavement it feels like im riding in a 2 ton skateboard.
My 08 lariat rides like a truck too, but its still fairly comfortable. Sure you feel bumps, but its not like the truck is crumbling beneath me, even with my E rated tires. Overtime things wear including interior fits and you will pick up little rattles and annoyances, I dont know what to tell you other than to start inspecting your front end parts closely if you have not already done so.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:50 PM
Ok thanks....I think Im gonna start shopping for shocks. I read somewhere to toss 400 pounds of weight in the back, and if it rides better then get new shocks.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:54 PM
I just bought an '07 Screw with 82K miles on it. My other main vehicle is a Lexus, so I know what "quiet" and "smooth" is all about.

The F150 XLT 4x4 rides damned near as smooth as my Lexus on the highway, and is VERY quiet for a truck. I think you've got a suspension or tire issue, cuz mine sure doesn't ride anything like what you describe.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:56 PM
Ok thanks....I think Im gonna start shopping for shocks. I read somewhere to toss 400 pounds of weight in the back, and if it rides better then get new shocks.
If your interested in leveling your truck now is the time to do it, look into a set of Bilstien's or Rancho leveling stocks. If you dont want to level it, still look into the Bilstien's - good stuff. Or if you like spending money check these out

http://www.kingshocks.com/ford-oem/

Old 12-28-2010, 11:58 PM
Kinda what I thought, because the Lariat I rode in rode very smooth and quiet, Mine is horrible.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by mdhawkin
If your interested in leveling your truck now is the time to do it, look into a set of Bilstien's or Rancho leveling stocks. If you dont want to level it, still look into the Bilstien's - good stuff. Or if you like spending money check these out

http://www.kingshocks.com/ford-oem/
I love spending money, but yikes! I may try those Rancho leveling shocks, I hear they are a lil smoother than the Bilstein.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:03 AM
I love spending money, but yikes! I may try those Rancho leveling shocks, I hear they are a lil smoother than the Bilstein.
Good deal, hope that gets you started in the right direction. Let us know how it goes.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too thought my FX4 rode pretty rough but I aired down the tires and it was MUCH more tolerable. I went with Bilstein 5100's with the 2" level setting and those were really good shocks, but they too were pretty stiff. By this time I had 33's but I aired those down a little and the truck rode like a dream. It was still truck-like but it didnt rattle my teeth. I now have the Rancho 9000xl shocks and I love the adjustability of these things. Look into the QuickLift with the 2" lift built in. I also saw that you can get them with the spring already installed but not sure how much those run...

Old 12-30-2010, 12:06 AM
Well I bit the bullett and took some good advice from some guys on here, after a LOT of reading I decided to get the rancho quicklifts for the front and the rs9000xl for the rear. Paid $508.79 shipped from my4by.com Best price I could find. They also have a deal where you get a free Myride wireless controller kit to adjust the shocks from inside the cab. Hope it works, I will post my results/review after I get them installed.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Well I bit the bullett and took some good advice from some guys on here, after a LOT of reading I decided to get the rancho quicklifts for the front and the rs9000xl for the rear. Paid $508.79 shipped from my4by.com Best price I could find. They also have a deal where you get a free Myride wireless controller kit to adjust the shocks from inside the cab. Hope it works, I will post my results/review after I get them installed.
PaulBlackFX4,

I would love to hear your results. I think I'm going to bit the bullett as well. I'm looking a the Rancho quicklifts as well. Post some pictures as well.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:45 AM
PaulBlackFX4,

I would love to hear your results. I think I'm going to bit the bullett as well. I'm looking a the Rancho quicklifts as well. Post some pictures as well.

Quick Reply: Truck rides rough as hell. Help