ball joints on 04 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011 | 07:12 PM
|
ball joints on 04 4x4

I believe my ball joints are going out as when I go over bumps it makes noise and when I turn the wheel it pops and grinds (although I think this might be my tie rod end but I'm not for sure). Does this sound about right to yall? It started doing this about 2 weeks after I lifted my truck and I have no been able to hold an alignment very well at all (I was told I needed camber/caster kit to fix this problem but i have a feeling it was the ball joints all along). I believe I will replace them as soon as I have the money to do so. As I was looking at prices I saw that you have to replace the entire UCA to replace the top ball joint, sucks but what are you gonna do? So i want a good looking aftermarket "performance" UCA thats not off the wall expensive, any suggestions?

Old 01-03-2011 | 10:14 PM
I haven't had this issue..yet, although I have been told my tie rod ends are worn. Tech demonstrated worn ends by taking the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock while attempting to turn the wheel left to right and observing the end connections. I suppose you could perform a similar test for the ball joints except the opposite axis. I am looking to get the steering stabilizer kit to minimize the rod end wear. Anything that may help. I will be tracking reply's on your post as I have an interest in a UCA to use along with the 6" Procomp lift. Good luck.

Old 01-04-2011 | 12:08 AM
I just got a kit off ebay for my 2003 and it had UCA and new lower ball joints and inner and outer tie rod ends and a pitman arm for $275 shipped it all fit perfect and has a 1 year warranty. I would look into that option, you have to press out the lowers but made everything nice and tight on my truck for a fraction of the cost from autozone or advance auto.

Old 01-04-2011 | 12:50 AM
|
So they rent the ball joint press?

Old 01-04-2011 | 01:15 AM
check to see if your cam bolts are tight first.

Old 01-04-2011 | 01:55 AM
Originally Posted by bossman15
So they rent the ball joint press?
I have a press but yes you can rent one from autozone

Quick Reply: ball joints on 04 4x4