New front strut assemblies

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011 | 10:38 PM
Could the coils be sagged out that bad already?

Old 01-13-2011 | 01:57 AM
I don't know a whole lot about coil-overs, but could it maybe be something with pressure from the 3" spacer causing them to prematurely fail?

Old 01-13-2011 | 09:53 AM
|
I don't know if a spacer could cause them to fail, but remember, my truck has 171k on it. Could the milage play a factor in how badly the spring sags? Something just came to my mind...If the shock inside is good and the spring is worn out, that would explain the shock being so compressed because the shock has an extra load on it and it cant hold the whole weight of the truck. that sounds just about right in my opinion.

Old 01-13-2011 | 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by GA4x4Screw
I don't know if a spacer could cause them to fail, but remember, my truck has 171k on it. Could the milage play a factor in how badly the spring sags? Something just came to my mind...If the shock inside is good and the spring is worn out, that would explain the shock being so compressed because the shock has an extra load on it and it cant hold the whole weight of the truck. that sounds just about right in my opinion.
Yes, if the spring is bad (or going bad, or sagging excessively) that will compress the shock further into its normal range of travel because the truck is sitting lower than it obviously was when brand new. However, the shock dosn't hold any weight of the truck. There is no load on a shock as it doesn't support any weight at all...zero.

Think about it like this...remove the coil spring and re-install just the shock...what would happen?? The truck would instantly collapse the shock completely and fall to the ground. You can compress a shock absorber by hand...how then would it have the ability to hold up a portion of a 6,000 lb truck??

Also...remove the shock and re-install just the coil spring...what would happen?? Nothing. The truck would sit exactly as it does now.

171K is sorta getting up there in mileage, but not off the charts. Definately lots of trucks running around with that much mileage and/or more without requiring a spring replacemenet. As a general rule, springs and such are not normal wear and tear items.

Those spacers also don't compress the spring further. The spring still sits between the stock perches with just a spacer, so it doesn't really do anything unusual to the spring itself, unlike ball joints and stuff...it just spaces everything down to lift the front.

Old 01-13-2011 | 12:32 PM
|
ok so it would be safe to conclude the spring is worn out and sagging causing the the shock the compress more than it should? that would sound about right

Old 01-13-2011 | 12:59 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think you have a set of coilsprings that are sagged out.

Old 01-13-2011 | 01:10 PM
|
yep, so im gonna go searching for some new strut assemblies online. I found some earlier for $167 each. Is that a fair price? I'm just going to order a whole new assembly instead of individual parts, then I should get the stance I want out of my truck. thanks for helping guys

Old 01-13-2011 | 01:35 PM
Is that $167 for the entire assembly with coil spring and everything?? Don't know what you want to spend but they're are some very nice options out there, even stock replacement...Icon, S-A-W, Fox and maybe some others have some really awesome coil-over set ups. They're pricey...but they're bad ***!!

Here's S-A-W...they have really good stuff...but be careful, they refer to them as coil-overs for your truck, so you may have to take that into consideration when compairing their products to "the shock warehouse"...LOL

http://www.swayaway.com/VehicleMake_2.php

Old 01-13-2011 | 01:46 PM
|
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Is that $167 for the entire assembly with coil spring and everything?? Don't know what you want to spend but they're are some very nice options out there, even stock replacement...Icon, S-A-W, Fox and maybe some others have some really awesome coil-over set ups. They're pricey...but they're bad ***!!

Here's S-A-W...they have really good stuff...but be careful, they refer to them as coil-overs for your truck, so you may have to take that into consideration when compairing their products to "the shock warehouse"...LOL

http://www.swayaway.com/VehicleMake_2.php
yes $167 for the WHOLE assembly already put together, I just have to install them. I really can't see myself spending $525 on each coilover lol. all I want is a stock replacement to lift my front end to where it should be with a 3" kit. ib ebay they are $167 each with free shipping. So around $340 is what I'll be spending and thats as far as I really want to go lol

Old 01-13-2011 | 01:56 PM
Global Moderator &
seems like they shouldnt ship an assembly, since its under tremendous tension, its like a mechanical bomb in a box. Not sure how they can get away with that if they do.

Quick Reply: New front strut assemblies