New front strut assemblies

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011 | 09:50 PM
|
New front strut assemblies

Ever since I got my truck back in march, I've noticed it riding extra low in the front but never thought anything of it until now. I've got a 3" leveling kit in the front and it still sits an inch lower than the back. I've checked the rear and everything is stock back there. So, this only leaves me with one conclusion, worn out or blown shocks. So I took a look under there today and this is what I saw.....

I'm taking a wild guess, but I think this shock is done. I'm ordering a whole new replacement strut assembly hopefully soon, to lift the front end back up for a better stance and ride. Oh yea, these shocks haven't been changed since 46k. I just absolutely love how the previous owner treated my truck . God only knows what else is about to break...

Old 01-11-2011 | 09:52 PM
i cant believe how rusted that coil spring is, r u sure its not broken? struts could be blown out

Old 01-11-2011 | 10:03 PM
|
ah, don't worry yourself so much. just a little mud on it from last time it rained . I will admit tho, it is starting to rust a little

Old 01-11-2011 | 10:20 PM
Your truck doesn't have a strut, it has what's called a coil-over. It is a typical, standard shock absorber with the coil spring perch fixed to the body of the shock and retained at the top. It can be removed from the truck as one assembly.

As with any other suspension design; leaf spring, coil spring, torsion bar, etc, etc, the spring supports the weight of the truck and the shock absorber supports zero. Shocks do not support any weight, therefore if your truck is sagging, it is not due to the shock being blown out or leaking or worn out or any other problem with it. You could completely remove your shock and it would sit at the same height.

Also don't know exactly what you're depicting in this picture. that 3/4" is not "play". It simply looks to me like a piece of the rod that's showing between the body of the shock and the rubber bump stop thing.

Springs will also settle over time and that is common and typical. It does sound weird that you have a 3" leveling kit and the rear is still as high as you say it is.

Old 01-11-2011 | 10:38 PM
|
Then why do I find the term "Strut assemblies" when I search reputable websites for a replacements? Surely the don't know what they're saying! Even though they have the right replacement parts, they clearly have the name wrong! I'll email them right away sir! And yes, infact it is called "play". As in it has 3/4" of room to move up and down, hence the term "play". Go figure... But you are right about one thing sir! That is simply a piece of rod showing between "body of the shock and the rubber bump stop thing". Looks like we have a resident suspension expert. But, assuming you know everything, we'll all pretend its normal for your shock to bottom out everytime you hit a bump!
It does sound weird that you have a 3" leveling kit and the rear is still as high as you say it is.
Yes indeed! Very weird....

Old 01-12-2011 | 07:20 AM
Could a possibility be someone has replaced the front coils with 4x2 coils?

Old 01-12-2011 | 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by GA4x4Screw
Then why do I find the term "Strut assemblies" when I search reputable websites for a replacements? Surely the don't know what they're saying! Even though they have the right replacement parts, they clearly have the name wrong! I'll email them right away sir! And yes, infact it is called "play". As in it has 3/4" of room to move up and down, hence the term "play". Go figure... But you are right about one thing sir! That is simply a piece of rod showing between "body of the shock and the rubber bump stop thing". Looks like we have a resident suspension expert. But, assuming you know everything, we'll all pretend its normal for your shock to bottom out everytime you hit a bump!

Yes indeed! Very weird....
OK...W-O-W, don't exactly know why you're biting my head off for helping out here...I sincerely didn't mean to come across as a "know it all", but whatever dude??? Also, you said absolutley nothing in your original post about bottoming out every time you hit a bump there mister! Yes...that could be indicative of a blown or fairly worn out shock...should have provided that ahead of time instead of sneaking it in now in an attempt to make me look like the ***. Still does not cause the front to sag.

Most on line shock stores use the term "strut" as a generic term. Look in the Ford service manual and see what they call it...but I'm sure that's incorrect and these dime-a-dozen on line places you guys put soo much faith in is probably correct. Look at the term used by any 'quality' suspension manufacturer (Fox, SAW, King, Rancho, etc) and see what they refer to the assembly as. But I would think the Ford manual should suffice. In that aspect, yes, I will be a know-it-all and say they are incorrect in calling it a strut.

I still don't get what you're describing as "play"...what exaclty is moving up and down?? The fact that you can see rod showing between the body of the shock and bump stop does not indicate a problem...completely normal. Is that what you are trying to say?

I've re-read my post and I seriously don't get why you're being such a tool...looks to me like I attempted to offer some pretty useful information against your vauge original post.

Last edited by Galaxy; 01-12-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-12-2011 | 11:07 AM
you can call them a coil over shock or a strut. I am a mechanic and I call them a strut.It doesnt matter what you call them but this is what is out of the install manual from my fabtech lift instructions.

Locate the lower shock mount bolt and remove. Save the
hardware. Locate the three upper nuts and remove. Save the
hardware. Remove the shock assembly from the truck and
set aside for disassembly later.
No need to fight over wording, the point is everyone is trying to help each other out. somthing is wrong up front. a 3" spacer shoud make the front end higher. you should take the "stuts or coil over shock" out to find the problem.

Old 01-12-2011 | 12:44 PM
To me your pic appears to show a bumpstop that has simply slid down the shaft.

Old 01-12-2011 | 01:18 PM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by wandell
agreed

also there have been a few (very few) 04-08 guys that have reported broken coil springs which could be an issue for you with all the rust.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...t-springs.html
(another link inside that thread with pics)

Old 01-12-2011 | 04:58 PM
|
Galaxy your first post came off as a little hostile in my opinion because you did nothing but correct the terms I used. I'll apologize about what I said, but I just don't like being corrected twice, then at the very end, you say "its weird". with all that aside we can get down to the bottom of this...

Like heavy duty said, the front is supposed to be higher with a 3". And yes, they are 4x4 str....coil-overs.

Unfortunately no, thats the top of the shock.

Patman my spring isn't broken, thank god, but with their age and mileage, I wouldn't be suprised if they did.
I'll just conclude that they need replacing and leave it at that because what else could be the problem?

So I'm probably just going to purchase a replacement str...coil-over assembly from autopartswarehouse.com. They have them for $160 which isn't too bad I guess. Anyone object or have a better/cheaper idea?
P.S. Notice what they are called on the website
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...n+%26+Steering

Last edited by GA4x4Screw; 01-12-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2011 | 05:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

You should have more than 3/4" of travel from your shock. I would say you have a broken spring/springs.

Old 01-12-2011 | 05:05 PM
|
Originally Posted by AZFX4
You should have more than 3/4" of travel from your shock. I would say you have a broken spring/springs.
my springs are intact. which is why this is a mystery. I could get a picture of the whole thing if you'd like to see what you guys can pull from it.

Old 01-12-2011 | 05:22 PM
Global Moderator &
its possible an entire ring of the coil is broken and missing off the top or bottom of the coil spring, to where it appears that its intact.

Old 01-12-2011 | 10:10 PM
|
well the previous owner couldve cut the spring which is very possible, but if he did, he cut both front springs because their exactly alike. they are normal as far as I can see. I took some pictures so I'll post them up tomorrow

Quick Reply: New front strut assemblies