37s with a leveling kit?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mdhawkin
Wouldn't some of that depend on the type of level. If you have a spacer that goes in between the coil, essentially adding preload, I could see you "loosing" upward suspension travel making bumps worse (if not limiting suspention, at least making it less forgiving). A spacer that sits on top the assembly would not change that, however I think it will limit how far you have for downward travel depending on the spacer offset, at some point in time the UCA will hit your coil. I may have missed something, if you have more input, would love to hear.

Good topic

IMO, it doesn't matter what kind of level it is. Adding a preload spacer spreads the strut (still leaving less droop travel) this is no different than cranking an aftermarket coilover. adding preload will change up the ride dynamics and the ability of the suspension to absorb anomalies; i.e. a pothole, the suspension is taken from having say 3" of droop travel to having only 1" or less of droop travel after installing a 2" leveling kit. Assuming this kit was a preload spacer now you have more tension on the coil not allowing the strut to rebound up and 'absorb' the pothole.

you hit the pothole, the UCA hits the coil and the shock shaft tops out so you feel every bit of it, and then the strut cannot absorb as much of the rebound because of the added preload, thus a harsher 'exit' out of the pothole..

A good rule of thumb is to have at minimum 2.5" of droop travel to maintain ride quality. This is coming from someone who at one time had cranked coilovers that had less than .5" of droop travel, and trust me it rode like complete garbage. Now after a rebuilt I no longer had to crank the coils and have over 4" of droop and 6" of upward travel and the ride is better than the day I bought it, this is also more droop or upward travel than I think our suspension could ever need.

I have seen these new two part level kits with a preload spacer and a small coil top spacer. But until I see otherwise all leveling kits do the same thing, force the front suspension components down to achieve the lift thus taking out suspension travel, mostly droop travel (in the case of a preload spacer a certain loss of upward absorption) and the larger tires crammed in there (mainly 35x12.5's) will be a major limiting factor in the upward travel. One member here has one on his 09/10 but he still hasn't gotten any pics up yet, it's something I'm curious to see becuase the companies claim its 10x better than other leveling kits for wear and tear, ride quality, and suspension angles..

I know most hate hearing my views on leveling kits, but a suspension kit is really the only correct way to lift a truck. BUT we all know not everyone can afford this which is why leveling kits suffice, and for most they won't nitpick things like this. But when they start threads about odd noises when turning, clunks, parts rubbing, etc... I can't help buy laugh. There is enough info on this site about most every possible issue that anyone willing to search around would know all the possibilities going into it and could anticipate these things instead of freaking out later

Last edited by FX4life; 01-13-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:58 PM
although i agree with you that the only true way to lift a truck is with a suspension lift,also your comment about affordability,,as i fall into that category right now,,hopefully in the not to distant future i will get that lift ,,but for now i have a level,,now i do disagree with you about loss of ride comfort,,i have an autospring 2 1/2" with 3"rear blocks and i'm running on 325/65/18 and i can honestly tell you that my ride is great,other than a very minor rub at full left lock(nothing on the right which i cant figure out why)the truck rides dam close to factory,,,,,

Old 01-13-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by philly164
although i agree with you that the only true way to lift a truck is with a suspension lift,also your comment about affordability,,as i fall into that category right now,,hopefully in the not to distant future i will get that lift ,,but for now i have a level,,now i do disagree with you about loss of ride comfort,,i have an autospring 2 1/2" with 3"rear blocks and i'm running on 325/65/18 and i can honestly tell you that my ride is great,other than a very minor rub at full left lock(nothing on the right which i cant figure out why)the truck rides dam close to factory,,,,,

That is because you have a steel coil spacer and not a coil spring preload spacer. You never changed the preload on the OEM coil setup, thus no noticeable change in ride quality.

It's not so much the only "true" way to lift a truck is with a suspension lift, more so that it's the only 'correct' way. You can lift a truck many ways (level, Body lifts, preload spacers, coilovers, suspension lifts, etc), some just do it better than others (by better I mean properly). In the end everyone sits up higher which is what we all want Nice blue flame too, i dig that color.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:33 PM
WoW! That thing has got to rub really bad!

Old 01-13-2011, 09:06 PM
thanks fx,, i agree,,hopefully one of these days i will lift,,family first,,truck last,,ha ha

Old 01-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That might be one of the worst looking and im sure worse riding trucks ive ever seen. is that even a good idea to mount that tire on a stock wheel?

Last edited by sgray; 01-13-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by philly164
thanks fx,, i agree,,hopefully one of these days i will lift,,family first,,truck last,,ha ha
I hear ya, my priorities will be changing here soon too. Luckily if I can't lift the 2011 right away I'll still have my current truck to cruise around in when I feel like getting some altitude

Old 01-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Seen it done before on an 07 i believe guy said it didn't rub anytime. he didn't go 4wheelin with it tho. And his were BFG AT 37x1250x17's (small 37's, measure like 36.3)

Old 01-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Ugly and just plain retarded. Looks like a fat girl stuffed into some skinny jeans.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by Big50
Ugly and just plain retarded. Looks like a fat girl stuffed into some skinny jeans.

Don't hold nothing back, tell us how u really feel!

Quick Reply: 37s with a leveling kit?!