Loose Steering

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loose Steering

I'd like to preface this post by saying that while I am not completely clueless when poking around the front end of my truck, I won't try to pretend I know things that I don't. That is to say, there are a ton of things I don't know.

So I have a 2001 F-150 2 wheel drive. Its a supercrew and has the 5.4L Triton. It just turned 200,000 miles a couple weeks back, an accomplishment I'm very proud of. Its been a Michigan truck, so its been abused by potholes and temperatures ranging from -20 to 110 degrees, so I expect some issues. In the past 8 months, I've put (or had put) new shocks on the front, new ball joints, and new outer tie rod ends in that order, followed by an alignment. This made everything well and pretty for about 3 weeks, whereit really rode like a dream.

As of recent, it seems that the steering has really gotten loose. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume it's not the tie rods or ball joints, though god only knows. Here's my less-than-technical description: at speeds under 55 or so, it doesn't pull, and it rides pretty smooth with little steering wheel shake. Get up to highway speeds and its a different story. The steering wheel has lots of shake, and the truck is liable to pull hard left, right, or not at all. I know that its a little better when the temperatures are above 40 degrees, but besides that, I have NO idea.

The only suggestion I've gotten so far is that it could be the steering gear. I would really like to think that this is not the case, so please, someone offer up some other suggestions!

I will also post some other little issues I have, so feel free to respond to those too. Thanks.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Pitman or idlearm are my guess... I recently replaced my idle arm! Was getting some play on the steering and had a small shake at higher speeds. Although I did need tires so the shake could of been from that... Idle arm failure are pretty common on these truck, mines lifted and I knew I had damaged something from offroading!

Old 02-18-2011, 12:07 PM
I'll have to check into that. Like I said, I am only so familiar with all of the different components that go into making a car turn and ride smooth.

Mine has never had custom tires on it, nor has it done any off-roading (though there are a few potholes here in Detroit that would put your mud trails to shame!)

Old 02-19-2011, 08:17 PM
My new to me 97 has the "wanders". Got it up in the air and the inner tie rod on the passenger side is bad, Replacing it tomorrow afternoon if I can get the dang wheel off.
All 5 lug nuts are off the wheel just won't come off. Gonna try a little heat and see if that doesn't break it free of the corrosion.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by jimanderson
My new to me 97 has the "wanders". Got it up in the air and the inner tie rod on the passenger side is bad, Replacing it tomorrow afternoon if I can get the dang wheel off.
I took it in today. The brand new (<6000 miles) outer tie rods are bad! Luckily, they are under warranty so they're free. They said the steering gear is fine, just tie rods. I had them replace the the sway bar brushing, balance, and rotate the tires and it rides wayyy better.

Quick Reply: Loose Steering