2" (or larger) leveling kit on 2009 - maybe not such a good idea

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 09:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well when you do the math, if the 5100's lift the truck 2"...

Old 03-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you have the old AS kit that didn't have the offset. Personally if you got the coin for bilsteins then do that.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
I'm quiet because I'm speachless (yes, me)

All I can say is - those poor balljoints....

It never ceases to amaze me why folks will compromise the ride quality, travel, reliability and safety of their stock suspension geometry for something as ethereal as a 'look'.

There are ways to do this correctly - and that ain't it.

MGD
A better way to do it is with a two-piece leveling system. It costs a few more bucks and is harder to install because you have to take apart the strut. But it's worth it in the long run.

Instead of putting a 2" spacer on top of the strut and pushing the entire assembly down and out of the range of motion that factory specs call for, you can put a 1" spacer up there and be fine. The other spacer goes in the strut giving the other inch of lift. This should not be compared to 2" pretension spacers, because that's too much, it results in a harsh ride. But the 1" spacer is actually perfect, because the small amount of pretension offsets the heavier wheel and tire.

Here's an example of one of these kits.

http://trailmastersuspension.com/det...KIT&Active=Yes

Old 03-16-2011, 11:47 AM
other than the 2 peice leveling kit takes a smooth riding truck and makes it into a tank! you feel every bump as if you just hit a small car!

Old 03-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by 2006jackedf150
other than the 2 peice leveling kit takes a smooth riding truck and makes it into a tank! you feel every bump as if you just hit a small car!
I have no idea what kit was on your truck, but mine has the Performance Accessories kit. Rides and handles like stock.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Similar issue

I installed the Autospring 2' and I had the same issue upon install but only on my drivers side...When everything was put back together but still on the jackstands there was a space between the upper arm and spring on pass. side but the driver side was hitting. However when I got the truck aligned the space between the arm and spring is even on both sides now. I have not raised the front of the truck off of the ground since so I dont know if they hit. My guess is yes because there are marks on the springs....I hope it doesnt cause any issues but the ride is exactly the same :/ (with the exception of turning radius) and Autospring says it wont damage your arms and springs At the bottom of the ebay link it says the 2" is good for towing and hauling...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUTO-...Q5fAccessories Im not answing your question, but I am telling you I have the same thoughts about the AS 2".

Old 03-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Buxton91
I think you have the old AS kit that didn't have the offset. Personally if you got the coin for bilsteins then do that.
I do have a newer kit with the offset. Given what this looks like, I certainly wouldn't want one without the offset (or a 2.5" or 3" kit for that matter).

Also, as far as the 'Well when you do the math, if the 5100's lift the truck 2" ' comment, I would like to know the spacing between the stock (0") and other snap ring locations so I can compare it the thickness of the AS 2" kit. Since my 2" AS lift kit lifted my front nearly 3", so I am not confident that manufacture claims on how much their product will raise my front are accurate.

Did anyone measure the distance between the snap ring locations on the 5100s for an '09 4x4? Also, are there three or four options on this shock? (The images on the Internet show both.)

While I am at it, how much do the 5100s impact the ride from stock? I am considering swapping all 4.

Thanks!

Last edited by 2009KR; 03-16-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:48 PM
You should probably see a better ride than stock. And definetly better than what your riding right now.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by 2009KR
I put on a 2" AS leveling kit on my 2009 4x4 last year. I have posted my pictures and concerns about the extreme angle of the upper control arm earlier this year, but now have a new concern. After reading the Bilstein literature (thinking about swapping my leveling kit for a 5100 to have a little lower front end since I am going to tow a 4 ton trailer this summer), they claim an issue with leveling kits is that they prevent the strut-limiter from engaging properly resulting in suspension damage. Well, on my truck, the strut clearly no longer limits the suspension travel with the leveling kit installed. The photo below shows that my upper control arm can hit my spring (truck is jacked on the frame here).
And this photo shows the scar on the spring from the impacts it has had with my upper control arm. This is with a truck that is not driven off road.

I am removing my 1" stacked block next week and adding Firestone airsprings to level out the back, both unloaded and loaded. (Without the 1" stacked block, my front was 1/2" higher than my rear with the 2" kit.) What do you think about swapping out my 2" AS kit, which raised my front nearly 3", with Bilstein 5100's set to 1.5"?
Check your PM box.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:04 AM
Does anyone know if the bilstein 5100 or the rancho quicklift's will resolve this upper a-arm / ball joint extreme angle issue? If not what is the solution? Is there a redesigned a-arm? Or?

Old 04-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Those after market UCA's for the NBS trucks are pretty steep on the price.

Quick Reply: 2" (or larger) leveling kit on 2009 - maybe not such a good idea