Help! Level kit install question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Level kit install question

We are in the middle of installing an auto spring level kit on a 2010 f150. we can't figure out how to get the strut tower back on the truck with the level kit on it. We can get the bottom in but the top is too tall to fit in. We get the top in and nuts put on, but the bottom is too low to shove back in the hole. What do we do? any pics?

Old 03-25-2011, 11:01 PM
We recently installed a HBS kit this past month, and struggled to get the strut back in as well. We installed the top first, but didn't put the nuts on right away. As for the fun bottom we lowered the control arm as far as we could and had to use a small pry bar to position the strut back in and a second set of hands to get that bolt fed through. I know this doesn't provide the greatest explanation, but there are also some video's on youtube that show getting the strut back in (granted some of those video's make it look a little easier than it is).

Old 03-25-2011, 11:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure how much it would help or if it would help at all, but maybe try a spring compressor.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:30 AM
i unbolted everything except the lower spindle bolt and everything went in so easy. i installed a 2'' AS level. driver side took me 2 hours passenger side took me 30 minutes. i know it doesnt say to undo everything, but it doesnt hurt anything either. it just makes the job that much easier. you have anymore questions let us know.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:48 AM
Well after a bunch of taking the spring tower in and out we got it to magically fit on the passenger side. We took the driver's side apart in about 15 minutes and then spent the next 2-3 hours trying to get the spring back in. We just can't get the bottom of the shock to slide in the hole. We have the lower control arm as low as we can get it. I'm not sure what to do. Will loosening the steering from that side drop the lower control arm anymore? Will that be hard to put back on?

Old 03-26-2011, 11:04 AM
no its not hard to put back on. i pulled off my tie-rod arm and sway bar. and everything moves easy. just watch your brake lines so you dont bend or bust one. once you get that off everything goes so easy.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by digit4lcowboy
Will loosening the steering from that side drop the lower control arm anymore?
Well you should always unbolt the tie rods and sway bar from the spindle when doing work like this. I bet that will give you the extra space you need to get it to fit.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Granted, I put bilsteins in my 2010, and not a spacer, but all I did was remove the 2 inner lower control arm bolts, and a nut off the sway bar link...... back side of the control arm falls out, and gave me tonnes of room.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:32 PM
We ended up having one guy hold it in place, another guy pry one way, and me pry another. It finally fell into place. Those new model control arms suck compared to the 04-08 models. It took us about 7 hours to do this level kit. It took me 2 hours to do it on my 04.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:38 AM
Don't force your lower control arm down; you are binding the CV joints! (I am assuming you have a 4x4 since you can't get the strut back in.) The solution is easy. Just take the two bolts out that hold the lower control arm to the frame, lower the control arm and everything fits in nicely. If you put them back as close as you can to the original position (as seen by the paint scars), your alignment won't be way out of whack. You do need to get it aligned right away though.

p.s. A typical spring compressor won't budge your springs. It will bend as you hit the limit of how much torque you can put on it without the spring moving at all - at least that was my experience with my '09. Also, I hope you got a 1.5" spacer instead of a 2" or 2.5" one - see my other posts for why this would be better.

Last edited by 2009KR; 03-27-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:47 AM
take your sway bar loose, tie rod, and cv axle loose. just roll the spindle and everything back towards the truck, cause thats the side with your brake line, so you dont stress it to much. and you'll have all the room you need. i've done my truck, and a few buddies. takes no time to do it.

Quick Reply: Help! Level kit install question