Front End Squeak I Think I Found The Culprit!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front End Squeak I Think I Found The Culprit!

So my front end has been squeaking really bad lately. Its whenever the truck hits any kind of bump making the shocks do their job. I think I found where its coming from. The passenger bushing above my shock. It is cracked in half.

Please excuse my crappy and over done grease job. Could anyone point me in the right direction as to where to buy replacement bushings for the shock and steps in how to replace them. I'm assuming its as easy as unscrewing the nut, popping the bushing out and replacing. Thanks!

Old 05-08-2011, 02:08 AM
bump

Old 05-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DO NOT UNDO THAT NUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To replace those bushings you need to take the tension off your springs, and is most safely done by removing the spring/shock assembly from the truck, and clamping them in a wall mounted spring compressor. Once the pressure is off, you can remove the nut, change the bushing, and re-assemble. There are some "spring tension removing" tools you can use by leaving the unit in the truck that you can rent at alot of parts stores. Not the most ideal setup, but works with some models. Removing that nut without doing anything else will probably damage the threads on the strut, injure you, and force you to get a spring tension tool anyways to get the nut back on.

Having to go through all that trouble, might make ya think about putting some bilstein 5100's on er.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by canadianelbow
DO NOT UNDO THAT NUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To replace those bushings you need to take the tension off your springs, and is most safely done by removing the spring/shock assembly from the truck, and clamping them in a wall mounted spring compressor. Once the pressure is off, you can remove the nut, change the bushing, and re-assemble. There are some "spring tension removing" tools you can use by leaving the unit in the truck that you can rent at alot of parts stores. Not the most ideal setup, but works with some models. Removing that nut without doing anything else will probably damage the threads on the strut, injure you, and force you to get a spring tension tool anyways to get the nut back on.

Having to go through all that trouble, might make ya think about putting some bilstein 5100's on er.
Thanks for the reply. My truck is a 2001 so I don't have a coil in it.

Where could I purchase replacement bushings for my shocks?

Old 05-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, I should have caught that from your info on the right. Sorry. I can't make any firm suggestions as to exactly where to buy bushings though. Guess I'm kinda useless.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by canadianelbow
Damn, I should have caught that from your info on the right. Sorry. I can't make any firm suggestions as to exactly where to buy bushings though. Guess I'm kinda useless.
With that being said since I don't have coils would the changing of bushings be to unscrew the nut and replace?

Quick Reply: Front End Squeak I Think I Found The Culprit!