Steering Issues on 2011 Platinum, anyone else having this problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine only did it when the truck was warm(after about 10 miles of driving), it is important to note that if the truck was turned off and then restarted it would not start happening again until the truck was driven another 10+/- miles. Because of this I let the truck run while I waited for the shop foreman to take it for a ride, which enabled him to feel it within 1/2 mile of leaving the shop. He is the same person who worked on the truck, so when they were done I had him drive it home (50 mile round trip) to make sure the problem had been solved. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
aupanther33, really appreciate the way you are helping the members with this issue.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Glad to do it Bluejay, I know how frustrated I was when I was looking for answers on the web only to find nothing. I know I would've been less anxious if I had come across a thread like this where I could have found an answer to this problem. I've put 1100 miles on the truck since I got it back, including 400 miles yesterday up i95 and the truck has performed perfectly, ford has built a great truck, I just wish I had bought one sooner !

Old 07-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Dustin, was your dealer able to solve the steering issues that you were experiencing ?

Old 07-17-2011, 08:11 PM
Another owner contacted me this weekend, he is having the same issue with a one week old Lariat Screw. I gave him the same information that I gave Dustin, I will post his results should I hear back from him. Not sure this is happening with anywhere near the frequency that would trigger a TSB from Ford, but there is a pattern here, albeit a small one at this point. If anyone knows which area at Ford should be contacted about this please let me know and I will be happy to alert them to this issue. Dustin, was your dealer able to resolve your issue ?

Old 07-25-2011, 08:43 AM
I have not taken it to the dealer yet. I had to cancel first appt. no way to get home then I was on vacation for a week. I am really hesitant to even take it in because it can be so intermintent. I have a 2006 honda odyssey that I complained about the brakes from day one how horrible, soft and weak they were. Well it just went in for a service with 70k on it and 5 years old. Finally honda had a recall for the master cylinder because air was leaking into the line thru some module exaclty like I told the dealership that it seemed like there was air in the lines, I bitched so much to the dealer ship they must have thought I was such as ***. I eventually gave up because they kept telling me nothing was wrong, but I knew the there was something wrong with the brakes. I do not want to go thru that again. I was hoping more people would start to experience this and then when I call the dealership they say oh yeah we know exactly what is wrong and how to fix it

Old 07-26-2011, 09:17 PM
I understand your reluctance, but being armed with my service invoice gives you plenty of ammo to at least be on record with Ford as to having reported the problem, let them be the ones to turn your request for service down as opposed to having an accident and having them say " if you had only had brought the truck in". This is the classic "oh your just not used to the way a Ford drives". That's what the other person who contacted me was told by his dealer. If that's the way a ford drives then they might as well add the cut brake line option for 2012. It's not normal, your not crazy, and you need to get it fixed. I can tell you that the fix worked and I love my truck, heaven knows that's not a lot to ask given what we pay for these beasts. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Good luck Dustin.
Paul

Old 07-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Well it is going in Thursday. I will keep you posted.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Please do, I went through the same thing as you debating whether or not to bring it in because it was intermittent. Mine continued to do it once it started, usually around 10 miles into a trip, but would stop if I shut the truck down, even for a minute. Because of that I let the truck run while I was waiting for the service tech to come out to test drive the truck. I guess having just lemon lawed a vehicle my acceptance level was at a low level, so I wanted to make sure that I didn't get blown off. Good luck, have them call Alex at my dealer, he should be able to refer your dealer to the person at Ford that helped my dealer diagnose my problem, I really believe that if they do the same fix to yours that they did to mine you'll be satisfied and happy with your truck. Good luck, let me know if can help.

Paul

Old 07-29-2011, 07:42 AM
The good news is that the service tech experienced it and once they entered it into the system ford actually called the dealership because they are starting to look at this issue on these new trucks. Bad news it the part is on back order to fix the issue. All I care about is that they have experienced it and agree that something is wrong. Hopefully by the time the parts come is there will be a service bullitin. Thanks for all the help I will keep you updated when they actaullt fix the issue and what the outcome is.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:49 AM
I was actually surprised that they had the part when mine went in. I'm glad they agree that it's an issue, stay on them, once they find the part the problem will be resolved and you'll remember why you bought the truck, because it's an awesome ride ! Good luck Dustin and thanks for the update.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:46 PM
2011 f150 platinum.

I have a 2011 f150 Platinum approx. 4500 kms. I was coming home and made a slow left hand turn onto our access road and the truck kept going left. I had to pull the wheel to get it to straighten out. It happened to my wife also so we have parked the truck until a new steering gear is installed. The truck now is a real handfull to keep going straight so we are awaiting the new parts. The dealership has been good in the diagnosing of the problem and has given us a rental to drive until parts arrive.
It is a great truck and I hope this will be looked into by Ford and the problem rectified permanently.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:20 AM
This truck is the first american vehicle I have ever bought. I thought long and hard about which vehicle I was going to purchase. I drove every truck on the market even toyota it took me 8 months to make a decision and in the end I liked the Ford f-150 the most and it came with many convient options the competitors did not have. I just hope this steering issue gets resolved (I have all the confidence it will) because I absoutely love this truck.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Steering problem fixed.

Originally Posted by Robert Hopkins
I have a 2011 f150 Platinum approx. 4500 kms. I was coming home and made a slow left hand turn onto our access road and the truck kept going left. I had to pull the wheel to get it to straighten out. It happened to my wife also so we have parked the truck until a new steering gear is installed. The truck now is a real handfull to keep going straight so we are awaiting the new parts. The dealership has been good in the diagnosing of the problem and has given us a rental to drive until parts arrive.
It is a great truck and I hope this will be looked into by Ford and the problem rectified permanently.
The dealership put a new complete steering assembly in and we put on arounnd 200 kms and it works great. I hope that is the end of my steering woes.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my boss's ecoboost is having problems too, you can hear/feel a knock in the front end..he took it in and they told him its the rack and pinion, they are all on back order..guess ford is having troubles with this new electric stuff

Quick Reply: Steering Issues on 2011 Platinum, anyone else having this problem ?