Steering Issues on 2011 Platinum, anyone else having this problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frustrated

Took truck to Ford dealer two weeks ago. Diagnosed problem as cite in bulletin. Was going to be fixed with "vehicle down" priority, TWO WEEKS ago!!. Part back ordered. Next projected part availability date ('maybe') Oct 15th. $35,000. truck with problem, no part available for a MONTH. Ridiculous. This is my first new Ford truck in 20 years....and my last.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Hey guys I'm new to this forum but here is my problem I purchased my f150 xtr
January 31 2011 and was told this truck can tow 10000 lb well first time out towing my 29 feet travel trailer was the scariest ride of my life. Could not bring it over 50 mph without loosing the front end of my truck and almost hitting on coming traffic. Since my first complaint to ford the only thing was done is that they set me up with heavier torsion bars and and anti sway cams, helped a bit but still hard to keep on road in high winds.I used to tow with chev 3/4 ton with no problem now it's like driving on ice very dangerous. The actual towing capacity on this truck is 7500 lb anybody else experiencing this problem.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Suspended
how heavy is your load? is your weight distributed correctly?

Old 10-17-2011, 08:51 PM
I just purchased a new F150 and immediately had this exact steering problem. I live in the country on windy, narrow roads and found the lack of steering control/locking to be not only unacceptable but downright DANGEROUS. I immediately brought the truck back to the dealer and they seemed oblivious but are now replacing the rack/pinion mechanism.
I am amazed that they have not issued a recall. I have filed a safety issue report with the NHTSA, and also called Ford (who didn't really want to talk about it).
At the urging of my wife we bought another F150 to tow horses and now I am questioning the decision.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:25 AM
I finally had the steering gear replaced at the dealer, so, I hope all is well going forward. Thanks "aupanther33" for the TSB. It took about 7 hours to complete the work.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Cool Same problem from CHILE (South Am.)

I got my brand new F-150 since Sept 2011. Some times when parking or leaving a parking lot I felt the Steering Wheel a little bit sticky when getting to the end of the last turn to the LEFT. I thought it was normal in this electric assistance. However, last Saterday (March 3) I was idle in Drive shift and depressing the brake pedal, waiting for a parking room. When I saw free room very close at my left I started moving as normal in Drive and turning all the way to the left and exactly at that moment I felt the Steering wheel was locked. I had to apply a bigger than regular force to get it back to the center and not hit the sourrounding cars!

So, as you can see this event happened at very low speed, let's say 5 mph. I think the other cases posted here were always on the road and at higher speeds.

I will call tomorrow the dealer (I had to wait these days for finding info in Internet first; basically this post).

In the case I need a copy of your Invoice Aupanther, do you mind if I would ask you for it?

Best regards,

Truck: 2011 F-150 XLT 3.7 4x2 (bought new in Sept.)

Last edited by acc4spam; 03-06-2012 at 11:26 PM. Reason: apply for applied
Old 07-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Well, 1500 miles on the new 2012 f150 5.0v 4x4 is doing the same thing as everyone elses in this thread. I noticed it from day one driving it and thought this was the anti sway or power asst. driving. The more I drive the truck the more the problem becomes clear. 40mph left hand steady turn the steering wheel will have a catch to it. You can power through it or you can let go of the wheel and the truck will stay in the position you left the steering wheel. I am also having a random stalling issue at parking lot driving while in tow/haul mode. I am debating on taking it in or not.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Add another 2012 F-150 to the list with this problem. It seems odd that after issuing a TSB for the 2011 model that the 2012 model would have the same problem.

Heading to the dealer tomorrow. Thanks for all the ammo.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Can you link to that thread you were referring to i did a search and cant find it.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:39 PM
2011 F150 4x4 EcoBoost SCREW Steering

I'm having the same issue but mine is doing it to the right. Anyone else? I brought it to the dealer and they showed me a copy of the TSB and it only referres to it doing it to the left. Of course we couldn't duplicate the problem. I'm at a loss.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:32 PM
2011 F150 steering failure

Hey folks,

I found this forum by googling 2011 F150 Steering failure, and am glad I am not alone. I have been towed to my dealer 3 times in the past two weeks for the same problem. I return to my 2011 F150 XLT supercab turn it on, EPAs warning light comes on and steering is gone! The dealer replaced steering rack (twice I believe) and have done some other computer work, but system still failed. The truck is currently sitting in the dealer's parking lot and I am waiting to hear from Ford Canada and the dealer. V. disappointed, heatbroken even, as this was my first new truck (vehicle) and only have 11,700 kms on it. Problem started around 11,500kms.

It has caused me some frustration and lost time (in middle of work at home one day when failed) and more importantly, I use this truck as a family vehicle and now I question is safety. What happens if this fails on the highway? Not only that, but last time it failed, I started the vehicle to put the heater on to keep myself warm (v. damp day) and that didn't work... There is no warning or signs of a problem, just utter failure.

This is an integral component of the vehicle and its safety system, and it must take some time and effort to fix properly. I think in these cases the owners must be compensated somehow, I love the truck, but its just not working...
Don't know what else to do here...

Old 11-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Unhappy 2011 F150 steering failure

So for anybody that's been paying attention, got my vehicle back, damn thing was way out of line (after 2nd steering rack and wiring problem "fixed").

So I was v. nervous, had it towed back, picked it up today and just waiting for it to break down again...I'll never feel as confident or comfortable as when I bought it.

Still waiting for ford to do something....

I even reported it to transport canada, I recommend anybody do this, took couple of minutes with VIN # of vehicle, maybe we'll get a recall..

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/t...age4_e-276.htm

Other than that, I'll never buy or have a family member buy a ford again...not worth the !$@# headache.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:44 PM
My 2011 F150 XLT just started this about two weeks ago. I thought it was me at first until I about crashed on a winding road on a left hand sweeper. It's at the dealer now and I printed out the TSB and informed them of the situation. Waiting on an outcome.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:14 PM
/www.aboutautomobile.com/TSB/2011/Ford/F-150/Electric+Power+Steering
There are several complaints there

Quick Reply: Steering Issues on 2011 Platinum, anyone else having this problem ?