2x to 4x

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011 | 01:52 PM
|
2x to 4x

Can someone advise as to the conversion of a 2wd to a 4wd is financially worth it on a 2008 F150 XLT? about what would it cost to do so if it can be done? Thanks

Old 09-14-2011 | 01:58 PM
What are your plans for the truck? If you want a daily driver your better off selling it and buying something 4x4. Otherwise if your going monster mudder it's gonna be far from cheap think somewhere around 7k+ to get a sas done and to get a transfer case. And that's probably a cheap estimate meaning you got great deals on all the parts needed and you do most of the work yourself or your having a friend do it for you.

Old 09-14-2011 | 02:08 PM
|
re: 4x

Originally Posted by pizzaman711
What are your plans for the truck? If you want a daily driver your better off selling it and buying something 4x4. Otherwise if your going monster mudder it's gonna be far from cheap think somewhere around 7k+ to get a sas done and to get a transfer case. And that's probably a cheap estimate meaning you got great deals on all the parts needed and you do most of the work yourself or your having a friend do it for you.
no monster mud truck, just thought it might be cheaper to convert than buy a 4x. will be used for daily driving but also during hunting season

Old 09-14-2011 | 02:22 PM
You'd probably be better off selling yours and putting it toward something that's already 4x4 but there's a few people on here that have done a sas and have build threads that you could look through. While I'm pretty sure all of them already had 4x4 the only difference for you is you'd need a 4x4 transmission and transfer case and need to build subframes to support them.

Old 09-14-2011 | 04:59 PM
Definitely not a financially beneficial idea. You would be a lot better off getting another truck

Old 09-14-2011 | 07:06 PM
You'd be better off selling your current truck and buying a new one. You would have to swap out axles, get a transfer case, and get a driveshaft built for the front and rear.

Old 09-14-2011 | 07:23 PM
if you really like your truck it would be better just to buy a cheap 4x4 vehicle to use for hunting etc.

Old 09-14-2011 | 10:35 PM
Where are you hunting? We hunted a lot and almost never ever had 4WD and we never had problems.

Get some good deep lugged rear tires and maybe a limited slip (or some sort of electric or air operated locker) and you'll be well equipped to go hunting. If snow is an issue, make sure they are snow rated as well (some off road tires with deep lugs are hard rubber and near uselsess in snow / ice).

You can even run 4 lugged tires, and you can even run different sizes with 2WD.

Buy a good pair of tire chains and try them on one day in the yard to familiarize yourself with them, then put them back in the box and hope you just use them for weight. If you expect ice, maybe a second set of close fitting S-type for the steer tires.

If you want a boost in height, change to 4WD shocks F & R which will lift front and add travel in rear for the 2" rear blocks you can add.

4X4 is not nearly the necessity that so many think it is.

Outfitted right, that 2WD will take you anyplace your buddies want to go with their 4WDs hunting and do so without ever having front IWE issues or front U-joints or CV joints or transfer case shift motor issues to think about .... and save some $$$ and weight.

Last edited by tbear853; 09-14-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-25-2011 | 08:11 PM
to tell you the truth i have been looking around for information on how to change my 95 f150 xlt into a 4wd. the general consensus is that i should just buy a new truck... It frustrates me but its an option i will probably look into. I know you probably dont want to hear about how you should just buy a new one, but in my opinion it sounds easier. Not saying i like it, but hey, what can you do huh?