Alluminum Blocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011 | 03:35 PM
i only had them in for a year or so but no corrosion even with new york winters and road salt

Old 12-27-2011 | 04:18 PM
Having two disimular metals with out an electrolyte will not cause the aluminum to corrode. Aluminum is a more active metal than steel, but they would have to ne submerged in either water or soil for them to corrode. The water or soul acts as an electrolyte (path) for the electrons to flow. All you will get is normal atmospheric corrosion which aluminum is not highly corrosive to.

For a brief example as what people are referring to as to dislike metals is an outboard motor. There is an aluminum anode on the lower unit. The anode sacrifices itself (corrodes) for the lower
unit.

Last edited by HighOn22's; 12-27-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-28-2011 | 08:30 PM
|
Originally Posted by HighOn22's
Having two disimular metals with out an electrolyte will not cause the aluminum to corrode. Aluminum is a more active metal than steel, but they would have to ne submerged in either water or soil for them to corrode. The water or soul acts as an electrolyte (path) for the electrons to flow. All you will get is normal atmospheric corrosion which aluminum is not highly corrosive to.

For a brief example as what people are referring to as to dislike metals is an outboard motor. There is an aluminum anode on the lower unit. The anode sacrifices itself (corrodes) for the lower
unit.
Ok, so if water is the corrisive factor, what about just smearing some silicone on the contact areas to keep water from them prior to installing them? Also the blocks are anodized black. The pins are steel but the block themselves are aluminum, 6061.

Again has anyone ever even seen any real problem with aluminum blocks seriously? I know all of the theories but don't think that it would be an issue. Great discussion...

Old 12-28-2011 | 08:36 PM
|
Originally Posted by HighOn22's

unit.
I think that the fact that we put aluminum wheels on steel hubs, steel lugs and steel lugnuts further emphasizes that there would be no problem with aluminum blocks....Correct?

Old 12-28-2011 | 09:11 PM
You will not have any issues withh aluminum blocks. I ran them on my F-150 for 2 years. Looked like the day I bought them when I removed them.

Quick Reply: Alluminum Blocks