Installed my AirLift kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Installed my AirLift kit

Got the AirLift airbag kit with onboard compressor to prevent my truck from sagging so much when pulling my boat. I got the "dual gauge" setup that gives me independent control of each bag. Total install took about 4-5 hours. They are running a special right now if you buy a bag kit and onboard compressor kit, you get a $100 mail in rebate. Total kit was $415 counting the rebate. Hope you like cuz I sure do!
1. Bulkhead unions (not included in kit) I used to run airline from interior to exterior of the cab.

2. Gauge installed where coin holder used to be.

3. Gauge illuminated.

4. Inflated bag.

5. Compressor installed under rear seat (manual said to mount on the frame under the vehicle but I wanted it out of the "elements").

Old 01-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make sure you check that when you are using it as it will get pretty hot when its running compressing the air. Ide watch the seat material. Nice placement of the gauges looks clean and stock.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Sponsor
Looks like a very nice and clean install. As C1t1d1 mentioned, I would keep an eye on the compressor, many people mount them inside the cab but I would watch for heat. Not saying you will have a problem, but if you need to run the compressor for an extended period just make sure it isn't getting too hot.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:34 AM
nice! ive had the same air lift kit on 2 different 06's and love it! both trucks i mounted the compressor under the cab to the body next to the frame rail. its gone through rain, mud, and snow without any issues...just fyi so you get an idea of its durability.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So you have a compressor but no tank? Isn't that thing noisy in the cab? I have my 2gal tank and my 150psi electric compressor mounted to the frame behind the front bumper and have never had any problems. I know I can hear my compressor pretty good in the cab even with it mounted externally and mine barely ever even has to run since I have a tank. Mine was just pieced together though, no kit.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:32 AM
Nice install but how loud is the compressor inside?

Old 01-15-2012, 05:42 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't think they would suggest mounting outside on the frame if it wasn't up to the task. Clearly it doesn't run all the time, so not a huge factor, but I know that sucker is loud!

Old 01-15-2012, 08:00 AM
I installed a new Air Lift kit as well. Single gauge with heavy duty compressor. Mounted the compressor under rear seat and put my guage inside console. Compressor is not loud at all and pumps really fast. I origanally had the Firestone Ride-Rite kit with no compressor for 3 years. It was a good kit when you had a load, but when empty that thing rode like s**t. It didn't matter if it was at 0 psi, it still would bounce the rear end. It helped a little switching to the Rancho RS9000xl adjustables, but still much rougher than no bags on factory. The Air Lift kit rides twice a smooth as the Firestone. Probably because the Firestones are rated 5000lbs. while Air Lift is 2500lbs.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KySuperDuty
but when empty that thing rode like s**t. It didn't matter if it was at 0 psi, it still would bounce the rear end.
Sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense at all!!! Have had the Firestones on my '02 for years now and 0 - 5 psi has absolutely, positively no influence on the ride compared to pre-airbags.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AirLiftCompany
Looks like a very nice and clean install. As C1t1d1 mentioned, I would keep an eye on the compressor, many people mount them inside the cab but I would watch for heat. Not saying you will have a problem, but if you need to run the compressor for an extended period just make sure it isn't getting too hot.
The manual states not to run it continuous for more than 4 minutes. The longest I run it is maybe a minute. I don't think heat will be an issue.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense at all!!! Have had the Firestones on my '02 for years now and 0 - 5 psi has absolutely, positively no influence on the ride compared to pre-airbags.
What applies to you may not apply to everybody else. 5psi in my bags with no load bounces you like you are driving a tractor trailer rig because of my drop. He could have attributing factors as well.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Sponsor
Originally Posted by Galaxy
You wouldn't think it would make much difference, but ive seen quite a few people from both sides of the argument. It really depends on the driver, the vehicle, and which kit is made for their vehicle.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:45 PM
As a note for mounting the compressor outside, I have mine installed under the cab on the frame about 2'-3' back from the driver side cat. It held up fine this winter with multiple trips back and forth from CT and OH through NY.

Quick Reply: Installed my AirLift kit