doing my spacers and torsion twist tomorrow and I need clarification 00 Expedition

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012 | 01:05 AM
|
doing my spacers and torsion twist tomorrow and I need clarification 00 Expedition

I've searched on here and I've found couple ways of doing things for the torsion twist...but some details that I can't confirm.

I was going to do the following:

1. Make sure both front tires have same air pressure
2. measure from middle fender lip to the ground.
3. jack up front and place jackstands under lower control arms with the tires slightly off the ground.

Then this is where I get unsure...

Do I tighten the 18mm bolts all the way down and then back them off a few turns? Seems like a pain to have to lower the truck, check the height I got, then raise her back up if I need to crank more.

Am I better off just confirming the height of the truck, leave it on the ground, and crank them up?

This is going to sound dumb but the Daystars spacers I bought for the rear, the spring sits on them right? The daystars go on the spring perch?

Can you tell I've never lifted a vehicle before? lol

Old 04-21-2012 | 10:41 AM
It'll be harder to measure the difference up in the air for the torsion bars and one side will allow you to go higher than the other.

Old 04-21-2012 | 10:54 AM
|
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
It'll be harder to measure the difference up in the air for the torsion bars and one side will allow you to go higher than the other.
So leave it on the ground then...

What about the rear coil spring spacers, they go on the spring seat right? Just about to take her apart there now...

Old 04-21-2012 | 12:09 PM
|
Lol how the heck did I do the monroe air ride conversion is beyond me ahaha

I got the rear shocks let go, the swaybar endlinks, and that axle doesn't quite drop enough to pull the spring out without me putting weight on that side to move the axle down more.

Which tells me I'm going to have a heck of a time getting the spring and spacer back in... do you use a set of widow makers to compress the spring?

Old 04-21-2012 | 02:02 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by lbrowne
So leave it on the ground then...
Yes, probably will need a breaker bar just to get you some extra leverage.

I'm not familiar w/ the expedition rear set up, but i didn't see you mention anything about a trac bar. If it has one remove that and it should drop a ton more and allow you to get the spacer in.

Make sure none of your lines are getting over extended

Last edited by 06yz250f; 04-21-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-21-2012 | 04:34 PM
What he said^. I had to step on my lower control arm to get it far enough down to pull my springs out.

Old 04-21-2012 | 05:12 PM
|
Oh well got them done and holy does it sit high in the rear.

What I did was, spring compressor on the springs, spacer on top, put a small bottle jack on the bumpstop and it's spot where it would hit if it had to, and slightly pushed the axle down. Went in like a glove.

But now I got myself in a bit of a pickle. I need another 2 inches for sure in the front, even though the bars are cranked. It has quite the rake look going now, sits very high in the rear.

Thing is I had to replace my rear springs because the Monroe kit I had accidentally came with rear Navigator springs. They sent me new ones, the correct ones at that. Well side by side the proper spring is about an inch taller.

So I think with that, and my spacers, I'm rockin 3 inches in the rear and I never quite got 2 inches in the front from the torsion bar crank. To me, it looks retarded right now. But I love how the ride has firmed up. Rides much nicer.

What are my options to get the front a bit higher? I wonder do they make a coil spring/strut spacer for the front of mine...

Old 04-21-2012 | 05:29 PM
Suspended
Go look at your front end, try and find the coil spring.

Your only option is a full suspension lift.

Old 04-21-2012 | 05:56 PM
|
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
Go look at your front end, try and find the coil spring.

Your only option is a full suspension lift.
I know where the coil psring is in the front, I put them in when I did the monroe air ride conversion.

There's no way I'm leaving the truck looking like that. So there's no spacer I can get for the front? Then again the coil over spring/strut setup doesn't look like it allows for a spacer anyways.

grrr.

Old 04-21-2012 | 06:53 PM
Suspended
edit: post up the parts you have on it and i'll see what i can find out for options (not the stuff you just added but the air ride specifically)

Either way, your limiting factor is angles of ball joints, cv's, etc.

Post a picture of your front cv's so we can see the angle and then we can re-evaluate your options

Last edited by 06yz250f; 04-21-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-21-2012 | 08:11 PM
|
edit: post up the parts you have on it and i'll see what i can find out for options (not the stuff you just added but the air ride specifically)

Either way, your limiting factor is angles of ball joints, cv's, etc.

Post a picture of your front cv's so we can see the angle and then we can re-evaluate your options
Cool thanks man, I'll get a pic tonight.

I have the Monroe conversion kit because my air ride was showing signs of failure. I found that the truck just sat lower after installing it.

I have Moog ball joints in the front. I have Daystars 2" spacers in the rear. I think the fact the springs are brand new is adding to the height as well.

Old 04-21-2012 | 09:55 PM
|

Here is the Expedition vs Navigator spring:

Old 04-21-2012 | 10:12 PM
Suspended
So your CV's according to that photo are nearly parallel?

New keys might do the trick, usually they are a bad route to go but w/ your set up it might be the cheapest since you are no where near over cranking and pretty much at a stock height in the front.

Is there any reason you can go to a stock f150 front suspension set up?

Shoot pizzaman a message and get him to chime in, i'm still unsure of what i'm saying but in my head it's the cheapest and easiest route

Old 04-21-2012 | 10:31 PM
|

New keys might do the trick, usually they are a bad route to go but w/ your set up it might be the cheapest since you are no where near over cranking and pretty much at a stock height in the front.

Shoot pizzaman a message and get him to chime in, i'm still unsure of what i'm saying but in my head it's the cheapest and easiest route
You're definitely right, they're not far off of parallel that's for sure.

I'll shoot him a PM to see if he can have a look at this thread. If I can get the front to match the back I'd be very happy.

Old 04-21-2012 | 11:10 PM

I'm not too familair with the expy front suspension either. I've never seen a setup with both coils and torsion bars. But honestly since this isn't a F-150 were talking about here and if those are factory key's pretty much maxed then I'd say for probably the only time in my life ha aftermarket lift key's may be the best, well cheapest, way to go.

I'm assuming that the conversion kit replaces the factory air suspension with a coil-over type assembly to help keep the ride soft? Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

And I'm also assuming the rear suspension just consist of coil springs, not a strut assembly? or is that struts too?

For the front what concerns me is if you go the aftermarket key's route to try to gain more height those struts maybe counter-acting it and causing it to not gain all the height it has the potential too.

Quick Reply: doing my spacers and torsion twist tomorrow and I need clarification 00 Expedition