Skyjacker SKYF9461KS-N Lift on 2009 + F-150

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 12:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skyjacker SKYF9461KS-N Lift on 2009 + F-150

I just purchased a 2012 F-150 Super Crew 4x4 XLT 3.55 w/ELD and a 6.5 bed. I'm wanting to lift it the RIGHT way (by not using blocks) but the only lift I could find without blocks that actually had a rear leaf pack was the Skyjacker SKYF9461KS-N (or - H if you want hydro instead of nitrogen shocks). Anyway, this is by far the best way to lift a pickup, yet I can't find a single person with this lift. Why? Is there something I'm missing or does everyone just go the junky route of using blocks. Everyone says to go with BDS, but BDS uses bocks...that's horrible. Why would anyone recommend that? Either way, I think this will definitely be the lift I get unless someone has a reason that it won't work. Blocks in the back = axle wrap, and axle wrap = premature failure down the road....literally.

Last edited by jonbar87; 04-30-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:45 AM
Suspended
you mad bro?

blocks, while aren't great are a cheap way to get lift in the rear. Yes there are better options obviously, but a 4-5" block isn't THAT bad and still keeps your towing ability. You don't know how or what specs that spring pack was built to, i'd rather have a custom leaf pack built to my specs than sky jackers.

as for why bds or other brands over sky jacker? Just more popular and you rarely see a complaint about bds, fabtech, or pro comp lifts.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:55 AM
Haha.

Do you have any idea the sheer amount of people who run blocks that don't have axle wrap problems?

And why bds? Have you seen their warranty? Lifetime no questions asked warranty is very nice addition to an already well built lift kit. And like he said^, its rare to see a complaint about them.

If you want a decent leaf pack go with a set of deavers, nationals, or atlas ones. If you wanna do it the right way you might as well spend a little extra and get a set of awesome leafs.

On a side note, the way that's listed as an add-kit, it makes me wonder if it actually comes with all the parts you need.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the input. I'll definitely be doing it right and go with Skyjacker

Old 04-30-2012, 08:30 AM
Suspended
ok.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:28 AM
What was the point to the thread then? To bash on all over brands?

Old 04-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by jonbar87
Thanks for the input. I'll definitely be doing it right and go with Skyjacker
haha. Well whatever you think. There is a ton of good info on this site if you search for a while. Skyjacker here is a name thats been around a long time. but as far as doing it right.....Uhh thats opionative for sure.
BDS Procomp RIZE Fabtech....all are some good brands to choose from.
The lift you shown looks like a nice lift. In the end they all do the same thing and for the most part the same way, they are just different prices and painted or powder coated better then others. Just make sure you arent using a short shock with a spacer on top of it, thats how i know some of the skyjacker kits do. anyway for the rears to me its a waste of your money if 6" is all you are doing. Id rather have a nice set of coilovers other the leaf packs, but its all what you want in the end. .The blocks in the rear arent the best way of course, but its engineered to work that way. once you cross a 6-8" lift id for sure do leaf packs, but custom ones from Deaver or someone else to fit perfect for what you need. Also think about warranties with the lifts. its kind of a nice option to have JUST In case. I think most would agree that money spent on the coilovers in the front would be money well spent instead of the rear. I liked the Procomp lift and found a good deal here on a stage II with coilovers. I dont have any axle wrap and not only that if you did, there are shims i believe that will correct this.
But like i said its your truck and your dime in the end. do what makes you happy. Sounds like you already have your mind made up anyway. There is just a lot of good info here of people whose asked your same questions and you can see what they would have done different or changed, etc. Good luck

Last edited by Big_Smokey; 04-30-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm honestly not trying to offend anyone, and I respect everyone's opinions. I just don't understand why it hasn't been brought up before. It's a known fact in the truck pulling world (or any truck world for that matter) that the more block height you have, the more axle wrap you have. For every x inch of block, it induces x amount more twist on your axle, thus resulting in axle wrap. I just don't see why anyone would use blocks, that's all. My thing is, if I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right the first time. Here's how I look at it: (once again, not trying to offend anyone)

BDS - $1,734.46

Skyjacker $1,852.15

I'll gladly pay the extra $117.69 for a set of leaf packs that are 10% stiffer than stock and don't require a block. With that said, shouldn't the BDS kit be almost 500 bucks cheaper since you don't get leafs with it? To me, the BDS is a rip off. So technically, all these other lift companies are ripping you off by not including $500 leaf packs but their kit is only $100 cheaper...somethings not right there...I'm essentially paying $400 to induce axle wrap into my rear axle. And with this 5.0 that makes 380 ft lbs of torque, it WILL happen with blocks. My 1997 F-350 with the 460 only had 20 more ft lbs of torque(400 and 245 hp) than the 5.0 and with 8" blocks I had HORRIBLE axle wrap (420ft lbs of torque and 365 hp if we're talking the Ecoboost!!) I couldn't even do a full pull with the sled because my axle was twisting so bad I was going to snap a u-joint. Or say you need to install a 5.5 inch block to eliminate ugly sag, that's only 2.5 inches shorter than my 8" block! Why do you think ford only puts a 2" block? It's to reduce axle wrap. Axle wrap creates more pinion/backlash and bearing wear later down the road.

This is a set of heavier leaf springs and by the sound of it, I doubt the engine as much power as the 5.0/3.5, and this is WITHOUT blocks. Imagine 4 - 6 inches of block....it only magnifies the twist once you add blocks!

Notice how bad it get's at :43...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny33NtNdFOE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDj7V...eature=related

Just my .02, take it FWIW

Last edited by jonbar87; 04-30-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:53 PM
Suspended
usually for a pull truck, they are diesels not a 1/2 ton pickup making 1/2 the torque....

BDS online prices are high

why do i think ford only puts 2" block? because they aren't selling a lifted truck....

a 4-5" block is not a terrible thing depending on the uses of the truck

Old 04-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Big difference between 5 and 8" blocks too. Also I doubt those skyjacker leaves are on par with the ones you would actually pay good money for like deavers.

Might as well sas it with 1-tons if you really wanna do it right haha.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Doesn't Skyjacker only use a 4" crossmember drop and then to get the full 6" you have to add spacers?

Old 04-30-2012, 10:19 PM
Suspended
why are you trying to teach us what axle wrap is? we know, no need for your bill nye the science guy videos trying to teach us what we already know.

You are not the only person in the world who knows about vehicles, which by how much information you have thrown at us i'm starting to think you are doing a bunch of googling to not sound like an idiot.

If you want to be annoying, go annoy your facebook friends.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:39 PM
I never said you didn't know. I just want to know why the infatuation with BDS lifts when they're far inferior in my opinion.

And this is elementary stuff....I doubt anyone googles it

Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Suspended
A set of leaf springs in the rear makes the entire front end inferior?

your logic is very flawed.

and if it's so elementary then stop trying to over explain everything to justify your reason. Do what you want, you are hung up on skyjacker, so buy the skyjacker. As long as it what you want, i see no reason not to.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:55 PM
ACTUALLY, I had no idea what axle wrap was. and I had to watch the video 3 times to understand what was going on lol.

SO thanks for the vids the dummies appreciate it

Quick Reply: Skyjacker SKYF9461KS-N Lift on 2009 + F-150