Stuck bolt in shackle... how to remove?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012 | 09:55 PM
|
Stuck bolt in shackle... how to remove?

I'm trying to replace the leaf springs on my 97 F150 4x4. All but one bolt has been removed on the first one I'm working on. It is bolt that attaches the shackle to the frame. It has been a pain due to the rust inside the bushing. Now it's to the point that I can't even get the threads to stick out on the other side. I was able to tap it back through with a hammer before. The bushing inside the rubber just spins when I try to turn the bolt.

Any other ideas before I take a grinder to this POS?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...853794820.jpg/

Old 06-13-2012 | 10:41 PM
Fork

Pull the bolt out as far as it will go. Heat the bolt with a torch, and yes the rubber will start to melt, just don't let it go too far. Take a "pickle fork" (ball joint or tie rod end fork) or a large opened wrench that will fit over the bolt but not the nut and pound it out. The heat is the trick this this.

Old 06-13-2012 | 10:48 PM
Global Moderator &
worst case scenario, sawzall through the bolt, and replace bolt and shackle

Old 06-14-2012 | 02:12 AM
|
Originally Posted by Scooterdog
Pull the bolt out as far as it will go. Heat the bolt with a torch, and yes the rubber will start to melt, just don't let it go too far. Take a "pickle fork" (ball joint or tie rod end fork) or a large opened wrench that will fit over the bolt but not the nut and pound it out. The heat is the trick this this.
So you're saying a open end wrench that will fit around the shank but not the head of the bolt? The bolt has already been out about 2 inches. The pickle fork I have isn't think enough to help anymore unless I can find something else to wedge between it and the frame and bolt head.

Originally Posted by Patman
worst case scenario, sawzall through the bolt, and replace bolt and shackle
Luckily I had planned on using brand new hardware. I could use the sawzall between the bracket the shackle goes in and the shackle itself. The threaded end is already pulled through enough that I would be able to remove the shackle with the remainder of the bolt inside it.

Quick Reply: Stuck bolt in shackle... how to remove?