will 37s work with this set up or will I have to get 35s

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will 37s work with this set up or will I have to get 35s

Hi everyone I have a 2001 screw with the 4.6 and I think 3.55 gears. The upgrades on the truck are gotts intake mod, edge evolution cs programmer, and true dual exhaust with magnaflow high flow cats dynomax bullets and xpipe. I have been saving for a lift for a couple years now and Im almost there Im so happy. I think I am going to buy the zone 6 inch lift and crank my torsion bars 2-2.5 inches with that. I was wondering if I would be able to fit 37x12.50x20 tires on it because down the road I am going to put a body lift on it and I think 35s will look too small with that set up. I think 8 inches of lift should be enough because Ive seen people with 37s on a 3 inch body lift. I would also like the tires to stick out the sides and I heard I want a -44 rim for that. My questions were Do you think the 37s will rub with that set up if so what would I need to do so they wouldnt rub? What dimensions should I get on my rims for them to fit I would like to have 20" rims I just dont know about the width or offset? Do you think I could run that setup with 37s without regearing for 2 or 3 months while I save the money? I will also be buying the dixon bros prerunner front bumper which should give the front tires a lot more room. What do you guys think about this set up I would appreciate any help and also pictures because I cant seem to find any with the exact set up I would like. If you have any questions feel free to ask ill try to look at this as often as I can but I have a very hectic schedule right now so it might be a day or two before I can respond.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by hammerdown45
Hi everyone I have a 2001 screw with the 4.6 and I think 3.55 gears. The upgrades on the truck are gotts intake mod, edge evolution cs programmer, and true dual exhaust with magnaflow high flow cats dynomax bullets and xpipe. I have been saving for a lift for a couple years now and Im almost there Im so happy. I think I am going to buy the zone 6 inch lift and crank my torsion bars 2-2.5 inches with that. I was wondering if I would be able to fit 37x12.50x20 tires on it because down the road I am going to put a body lift on it and I think 35s will look too small with that set up. I think 8 inches of lift should be enough because Ive seen people with 37s on a 3 inch body lift. I would also like the tires to stick out the sides and I heard I want a -44 rim for that. My questions were Do you think the 37s will rub with that set up if so what would I need to do so they wouldnt rub? What dimensions should I get on my rims for them to fit I would like to have 20" rims I just dont know about the width or offset? Do you think I could run that setup with 37s without regearing for 2 or 3 months while I save the money? I will also be buying the dixon bros prerunner front bumper which should give the front tires a lot more room. What do you guys think about this set up I would appreciate any help and also pictures because I cant seem to find any with the exact set up I would like. If you have any questions feel free to ask ill try to look at this as often as I can but I have a very hectic schedule right now so it might be a day or two before I can respond.
not sure if within just a couple of months there would be any kind of damage to the tranny. would the truck be a total dog with a 3.55 gearbox with 37's, yes.

will it kill your gas mileage with the 4.6 and 3.55 gear ratio, hell yes. 37's are a ton of rotating mass to get moving with 3.55's

even with a programmers canned tunes i always felt, and some of the veterans can correct me if im wrong here....running 35's for too long, maybe even just a couple of months will put a heavy strain on your tranny let alone running something as heavy as 37's. you would have to jump to a minimum of 4:10 gears or 4:88's depending on what the weight of the tires is that you get, weight of rims added into it along with what kind of driving you will be doing, hwy or city. if youll be doing any towing. theres alot of factors. 36 inches and up you start getting more into 13.50, 14.50 or 15.50 wide tire. or else a tire that tall will look like a pizza cutter in only a 12.50. unless of course thats good with you.

aside from that, theres some top notch wheel guys on here that can help you with offsets and such as well as if the 6 inch lift along with crankin bars will provide you with little to no rubbing.

i personally would say to hold off until you can regear first. being a 2001, i dont know how well the truck was taken care of previously, but with a truck with that many miles id say its only going to harm an already aged tranny more having just the 3.55 gears. im no total expert but see what the general consensus turns out to be. good luck.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:44 PM
also, if you have some time, search the forums. this site is a huge help if you put in the time to search. or make some calls to some local shops and again see what the general theme of everyones answers are. i bought my wheels from rimzone.com, i asked them directly what offsets and such would work because thats what they do day in and day out. later.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:11 PM
If I was you I would keep saving and do the lift, tires, and gears all at once. 3.55s and 37s with a 4.6 will be terrible

Old 06-18-2012, 08:45 PM
I got 3.73 gears and planning to get 35 inch tires when I get home in August is that gonna be a problem

Old 06-19-2012, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by ace1602
I got 3.73 gears and planning to get 35 inch tires when I get home in August is that gonna be a problem
Shouldn't be too bad. Not ideal, but not terrible. I have 35s and 4.56s and it's slightly overpowered, my interstate mileage is actually lower than my city mileage

Old 06-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ace1602
You should be fine. You have a lot more power than his 2001.
Hammerdown, I'd go with a 10 inch wide wheel with 4.5 inches of backspacing. You can probably fit 37x12.50's with that wheel, but you will have to do a little trimming.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the help so far everyone I think I'm just going to wait and do the gears at the same time as everything else. One thing I forgot to ask is what size gears would you all recommend I do about 75 percent city driving and about 25 percent highway but I would like to still have some power on the highway. Also does anyone know where I can see some 37x12.50 tires I'm having trouble finding pictures. I don't want them to look like pizza cutters so now I'm considering 13.50s do you guys think they will fit?

Old 06-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
get 4.88 gears.

youre most likely going to need the body lift to clear the 37's with a 10" wide wheel. i would go with the 13.50 tires.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Do it all at once including the body lift, otherwise I think you might have rubbing issues with the wheels you want.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:46 AM
well depends if your putting the lift and stuff together your self or not, either way it will be alot easier doing it all at once and getting it all done instead of taking it all apart again another day. id say wait a bit, if you been waiting for a few years whats another couple weeks or months right?

Old 06-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by 1ofakind
well depends if your putting the lift and stuff together your self or not, either way it will be alot easier doing it all at once and getting it all done instead of taking it all apart again another day. id say wait a bit, if you been waiting for a few years whats another couple weeks or months right?
Ha ha that's what I keep telling myself but I'm so excited its really hard to wait. Do you all think the 37x13.50s will rub because I wasn't planning on getting a body lift until a year or so. If they do rub will it be in the front, back, or both? If its in the back I could get a add a leaf and if it's in the front do you think they will rub with a Dixon bros prerunner bumper since there really won't be anything around the tire. Also I plan on installing the lift myself and would like to do the gears to since its so expensive. How hard is it to swap the gears and are there any tutorials on how to do it?

Last edited by hammerdown45; 06-20-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:53 PM
If its gonna rub itll be in the front and the bumper won't make a difference with rubbing because it'd be the same as just removing the valence. It'll most likely rub when turning or going over bumps against the inner sheet metal behind the front tires and where the plastic inner fender liner is.

Too bad your not closer since I'm trying to sell my Dixon bros bumper haha.

As for gear install, if you have even the slightest doubt about doing it or youve never watched someone do it and you don't have someone who has expierence doing it with you don't do it yourself. If you mess up even the tiniest bit those gears will be shot in under a 100 miles and you can risk damaging other things too.

However I do think without the body lift you'll have some rubbing with 37x13.50s.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:03 AM
ok thanks ill start looking for the best price around here then.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:06 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
It'll most likely rub when turning or going over bumps against the inner sheet metal behind the front tires and where the plastic inner fender liner is.

However I do think without the body lift you'll have some rubbing with 37x13.50s.
i agree.

body lifts are cheap and easy to put on. why do you want to wait to put one on?

Quick Reply: will 37s work with this set up or will I have to get 35s