Front end rattle. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012 | 11:46 AM
|
Front end rattle. Need help

New to the forum. Thanks in advance for any help. I've got a 2000 4wd supercab 5.4. I have an incessant rattle in the front end. It rattles over bumps, especially washboarded dirt roads. I have localized the noise to the passenger side front end. I replaced the tie rods, hubs and upper ball joint. The shocks were replaced less than a year ago. The lower arm was replaced 18 months ago. I am having trouble keeping the sway bar centered. The links were also replaced, as well as the bushings. Any ideas what may be causing this rattle? Again, thanks for any help

Old 09-06-2012 | 11:59 AM
did you check for a broken spring?
What were these parts replaced with?

Last edited by FordGunsMerica; 09-06-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-06-2012 | 12:26 PM
|
Broken spring? Moog has been my brand of choice. An additional detail I omitted was the disintegrated shock I had replaced. Broken shock mount maybe?

Old 09-06-2012 | 12:30 PM
Shock mount is a possibility, check the Torque on them and tighten/loosen as need along with with other parts. Maybe one of the replacements were junk. Doubt it being Moog but you never know. Your Coil spring could be Hairline fractured(ing) also.

Old 09-06-2012 | 12:40 PM
|
There are no coil springs on my truck. Wouldn't a tech notice a broken shock mount when replacing the shock? Any chance this could be a faulty control arm? It's bushings maybe?

Old 09-06-2012 | 12:46 PM
When was all this replaced? Where did you take it? If it was recent i would take it back and have them fix it. What bushings are you talking about specifically?

Old 09-06-2012 | 12:56 PM
|
Did all the work myself, except the lower control arm, which is bushed. All done in the last 6 months (except control arm 18 mos. ago). The control arm was replaced earlier because it was bent. I do a lot of hunting and the suspension takes a beating. I noticed the rattle last season and tried to eliminate by replacing components that would need replaced anyways. I am completely flustered!

Old 09-06-2012 | 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by WAbucksandbulls
Did all the work myself, except the lower control arm, which is bushed. All done in the last 6 months (except control arm 18 mos. ago). The control arm was replaced earlier because it was bent. I do a lot of hunting and the suspension takes a beating. I noticed the rattle last season and tried to eliminate by replacing components that would need replaced anyways. I am completely flustered!
Did you upgrade the shocks to a Rancho, Bilstien, pro-comp? You could have already went through the shocks if you do alot of 4wding.
Just my theory but maybe someone else has a idea lol

Old 09-06-2012 | 01:14 PM
|
I have lifetime warranty on the shocks. They're Les Schwab mtn rider. Was rattling before AND after. It's gotta be something to do with sway bar(?) not staying centered. At least that's my guess

Old 09-06-2012 | 01:20 PM
I'd swap that out then. Did you hit anything or get hung up? might have damaged that.

Old 09-06-2012 | 02:25 PM
|
It's gotta be something structurally. Just tired of throwing money at it. Know any suspension experts that can help?

Quick Reply: Front end rattle. Need help