Lift install

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013 | 06:49 PM
|
Lift install

I have a 2013 Platinum 4x4. I installed a Rancho Quick lift that gave me 1.75 inches in the front. I did nothing to the back. I then put 285x65x20 inch tires on the stock rims. It looks good but it needs to be just a little bit taller so I am looking at a 4" lift. I am not sure which one to buy, is there really any big differences between them? Is the Fabtech really worth $3000 when I can get a Rough Country for $1200? How hard are these to install? Can I do it in my garage in a day with normal hand tools? I did the Quick Lift myself and it took about 30min or so per side.

A few concerns that may be a factor. I am using the stock rims and my truck has AWD.

Last edited by themcnabs; 09-29-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-30-2013 | 05:31 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by themcnabs
I have a 2013 Platinum 4x4. I installed a Rancho Quick lift that gave me 1.75 inches in the front. I did nothing to the back. I then put 285x65x20 inch tires on the stock rims. It looks good but it needs to be just a little bit taller so I am looking at a 4" lift. I am not sure which one to buy, is there really any big differences between them? Is the Fabtech really worth $3000 when I can get a Rough Country for $1200? How hard are these to install? Can I do it in my garage in a day with normal hand tools? I did the Quick Lift myself and it took about 30min or so per side.

A few concerns that may be a factor. I am using the stock rims and my truck has AWD.
It does take time to do an install, it helps to have a "real" hoist to get under there and remove the knuckles etc. Hands tools would be tough... air would be great. Ours call for an install time of about 5 to 6 hours. Being a pro helps. Ours will work with OE wheels 18” and larger will fit with this
suspension system. Our system involves cutting to get our one piece subframe in there. That right there is a huge key. One piece vs a 2 piece... one piece is much stronger. The rear is really easy, BTW. And ours is Made in the USA.

Last edited by Rancho Shocks; 09-30-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-30-2013 | 06:57 PM
Truck of the Month
A lift isn't something you'll want to install unless you know what you're doing or you're at least a bit handy. Lots of people do it themselves, though I'd expect it to span 2 days, especially if it's the first time you're doing it. Everything always takes longer than you'd think. Cutting to fit a subframe can be nerve racking and you only get one shot. Not all lifts require this though

Most lifts are not compatible with stock wheels, but you might (emphasis MIGHT) be alright because your tires are relatively narrow, but make sure that whatever you get is. $3,000 lifts have upgraded coilovers, versus the cheaper lifts with spacers on the stock coilovers. Any major brand that's compatible is going to be fine. Fabtech also has a cheaper, spacer kit too, not just the $3,000 one. In my opinion, you don't need the upgraded/new coilovers unless you offroad a lot.

One last thing, I wouldn't bother with a 4" lift, go 6" and be done with it. What already happened, you going from ~2" level to 4" lift, will happen again with a 4" lift and you'll be wanting a 6". The tires might be a touch on the small side with a lift, but only slightly.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 09-30-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-30-2013 | 09:01 PM
|
Originally Posted by Rancho Shocks
It does take time to do an install, it helps to have a "real" hoist to get under there and remove the knuckles etc. Hands tools would be tough... air would be great. Ours call for an install time of about 5 to 6 hours. Being a pro helps. Ours will work with OE wheels 18” and larger will fit with this
suspension system. Our system involves cutting to get our one piece subframe in there. That right there is a huge key. One piece vs a 2 piece... one piece is much stronger. The rear is really easy, BTW. And ours is Made in the USA.

Will your lift work on my truck with AWD?

I don't like the idea of cutting the subframe, does that mean you can't go back to stock? Does the 2 piece not require cutting?

Last edited by themcnabs; 09-30-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-30-2013 | 09:07 PM
|
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
A lift isn't something you'll want to install unless you know what you're doing or you're at least a bit handy. Lots of people do it themselves, though I'd expect it to span 2 days, especially if it's the first time you're doing it. Everything always takes longer than you'd think. Cutting to fit a subframe can be nerve racking and you only get one shot. Not all lifts require this though

Most lifts are not compatible with stock wheels, but you might (emphasis MIGHT) be alright because your tires are relatively narrow, but make sure that whatever you get is. $3,000 lifts have upgraded coilovers, versus the cheaper lifts with spacers on the stock coilovers. Any major brand that's compatible is going to be fine. Fabtech also has a cheaper, spacer kit too, not just the $3,000 one. In my opinion, you don't need the upgraded/new coilovers unless you offroad a lot.

One last thing, I wouldn't bother with a 4" lift, go 6" and be done with it. What already happened, you going from ~2" level to 4" lift, will happen again with a 4" lift and you'll be wanting a 6". The tires might be a touch on the small side with a lift, but only slightly.

I am not going 6", 2" isn't quite enough so I am sure 4" will not be fine.

Do these lift kits move the position of the when in or out? I don't want my tires sticking out and looking ghetto.

What should I expect to pay a shop to install a lift?

Old 09-30-2013 | 09:18 PM
5-600+ with an alignment included most likely.

Old 09-30-2013 | 11:35 PM
Truck of the Month
I am not going 6", 2" isn't quite enough so I am sure 4" will not be fine.

Do these lift kits move the position of the when in or out? I don't want my tires sticking out and looking ghetto.

What should I expect to pay a shop to install a lift?
It's really something to consider IMO, but if you know you want a 4", no worries. A lot of guys just get the "go bigger" itch, it's certainly grabbed me and I'm not even lifted yet. It won't make your wheels stick out, which is the problem. The stock wheels are so closely snugged up with to the inside that it creates issues with the lift. $400-700 for install and alignment, just depends where you go. I would expect to pay 5-600 like Pizza said

Old 10-01-2013 | 10:54 AM
Truck of the Month
You have to cut in order for the driveshaft to drop

Old 10-01-2013 | 01:26 PM
|
Originally Posted by fine_style150
You have to cut in order for the driveshaft to drop
So once I install a 4" lift there is no going back.

Last edited by themcnabs; 10-01-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-01-2013 | 02:28 PM
Former Sponsor
Unhappy

Will your lift work on my truck with AWD?

I don't like the idea of cutting the subframe, does that mean you can't go back to stock? Does the 2 piece not require cutting?
Just looked into my big catalog and it states it won't work with AWD. Sorry about that.

Old 10-01-2013 | 02:35 PM
|
I just got off the phone with Rough Country. They tell me their 4" kit will work with the stock wheels and the AWD. It is $1199 + $89 for kicker braces that are recommended.

Anyone have any issues with this lift kit?

Old 10-01-2013 | 03:06 PM
Truck of the Month
you can always weld the bracket back on

Old 10-01-2013 | 08:34 PM
Couple of personal thoughts on Rancho and 4" lifts. AFAIK, Rancho is the only one with a one piece subframe. After installing mine, I was absolutely blown away by how solid, controlled, firm, and improved the truck felt compared to stock. I was prepared for some (albeit minor) degradation in handling and drivability characteristics just from the fact I'm installing a lift and it's higher in the air, but the complete opposite occurred. EVERYTHING was improved and I attribute that to the one piece frame.

I ended up with a 4" lift and 33's because this was required (at the time) for my truck to still fit in the garage; which BTW is a non-negotiable requirement. Well, in the end, I'm glad I went this way because IMO, 4" lift and 33's are the best "fit" for my truck. It just has a very nice balanced look to it and I ended up with no desire or itch go bigger, none at all. I am envy free!

Old 10-01-2013 | 08:39 PM
|
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Couple of personal thoughts on Rancho and 4" lifts. AFAIK, Rancho is the only one with a one piece subframe. After installing mine, I was absolutely blown away by how solid, controlled, firm, and improved the truck felt compared to stock. I was prepared for some (albeit minor) degradation in handling and drivability characteristics just from the fact I'm installing a lift and it's higher in the air, but the complete opposite occurred. EVERYTHING was improved and I attribute that to the one piece frame.

I ended up with a 4" lift and 33's because this was required (at the time) for my truck to still fit in the garage; which BTW is a non-negotiable requirement. Well, in the end, I'm glad I went this way because IMO, 4" lift and 33's are the best "fit" for my truck. It just has a very nice balanced look to it and I ended up with no desire or itch go bigger, none at all. I am envy free!

I am sure the 4" will be just right for me too.

Rancho states that their kit will not work with AWD. Rough Country states theirs will. What is the difference?

Rough Country recommends kicker braces, will these make it more solid like the Rancho?

Old 10-17-2013 | 08:49 PM
|
Originally Posted by Rancho Shocks
Just looked into my big catalog and it states it won't work with AWD. Sorry about that.
I am told the reason is because of driveshaft vibrations. Can you find out if it will have vibrations all the time or only when it is in AWD mode?

Quick Reply: Lift install