2' leveling kit,how large a tire on 4x2

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013 | 11:57 AM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by atr04screw
Billet aluminum spacers are actually stronger than steel spacers. Although steel spacers will work fine for most applications, a member recently posted a picture where his steel spacer was bending down.
Mmm I don't buy that at all. Aluminum is inherently weaker and has less resistance to corrosion than powder coated steel. I wonder what company his bent ones were from. don't forget that there are many grades of steel as well.

Same reason aluminum drop hitches aren't the best for frequent heavy loads, they break down and wear.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 11-15-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-15-2013 | 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Mmm I don't buy that at all. Aluminum is inherently weaker and has less resistance to corrosion than powder coated steel. I wonder what company his bent ones were from. don't forget that there are many grades of steel as well.

Same reason aluminum drop hitches aren't the best for frequent heavy loads, they break down and wear.
Aluminum is weaker than steel, but when you compare a solid aluminum spacer to a welded steel spacer, the design of the steel spacers makes them more likely to bend/compress around the edges than an aluminum spacer. Also, aluminum is very corrosion resistant even when not painted. Like I said earlier, steel spacers are fine for most applications, but if they see heavy offroading or similar situations, they can have problems.

Old 11-15-2013 | 02:30 PM
Truck of the Month
I see your point about solid versus cnc and welded. But road salt eats aluminum up almost as fast as low-mid grade steel. It can be more resistant to rust due to water and moisture though, but I still wouldn't like it. I see aluminum bend in applications when thicker than steel counterparts, and that's what sticks in my mind. It's much weaker, but it's certainly possible that because it's solid, it's fine or better.

Quick Reply: 2' leveling kit,how large a tire on 4x2