Stree legal monster truck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001 | 09:19 PM
|
Stree legal monster truck?

If you check out page 24 of this month's Offroad magazine you will see a '94 chevy with a 20" lift and 46" tires. They claim it is street legal and the owner drives it around on city streets. The bumpers are around 5' off the ground. Which is funny because it is a NY truck and NY says bumpers can't be up more than 30". Is there a way that this thing is really street legal? Or is offroad magazine full of it?

-Jon

Old 08-27-2001 | 09:32 PM
Question

Well, I'll tell you what. He had better never drive through VA. In Five years with two vehicles, I have received 7 tickets for height violations. With my old truck, I beat everyone in court. My current truck, soon to be technically legal, has received two tickets. Each states have their own laws regarding suspensions , tire sizes, headlight heights, bumper heights, lift types, body lift sizes and fender overhang. Some states have no laws at all regarding most of these items. However, most states specify that the largest street legal tire is a 44". What state is this guy running in. There was an issue of 4 Wheel and off-road about six months ago that listes each states laws. Where ever he is, I'm moving there, Ha Ha Ha.

Snowball

Old 08-28-2001 | 01:32 AM
i dont see how it could be street legal if the bumper is 5' off the ground. wow, imagine if he rearended you, he'd kill you!

Old 08-28-2001 | 03:54 PM
so snowball how exactly are you gonna make your truck legal again?

Old 08-28-2001 | 06:13 PM
Follow the link. However, I went with the Keystone airdam.

Snowball

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=48238

Old 08-28-2001 | 08:26 PM
|
He lives in NY, the same state i'm in. And i know for sure that we have a bumper height law because i had a state trooper measure. Luckily i was a few inches low (but i'm putting in a body lift next week!). I'm thinking maybe he doesn't have to comply with the bumper law because he has a fuel cell and he won't explode if someone drives underneath?

-Jon

Old 08-28-2001 | 09:02 PM
Hmmmmm, I think the bumper height laws are intended to protect other vehicles at lower altitudes. LOL....as high up as Snowball is he could turn a VW Bug into a speed bump. I know I would'nt want to see his skid plate or differential in my rear view mirror if I were driving something like a Honda Civic!

Old 08-29-2001 | 03:27 PM
there are larger tires that are DOT approve then the 44's. its just the bogger is the largest most agressive DOT approved mud tire. if u seen the 46" tires there not as aggresive as the bogger, just bigger.

Old 09-04-2001 | 03:43 AM
Arizona Laws say you must run mudflaps on any lifted vehicle... mudflaps must be the width of the tire, & no more than 8" from the ground.... Also a 52" headlight height which they rarely enforce, but drop headlights are ok

I have 2 friends with trucks over 44" tires... one is running 14.00R20s (roughly 50" tall) & the other has 48x25 Firestone Terra tires... only one has been pulled over for headlight height

besides that, we can get away with almost anything... a law was put in years ago that allows you to register golf carts for street use (due to the number of retired people down here) this law also allows you to sneak in sand rails & ATVs & make them street legal... basically if you can dream it, we can drive it

Quick Reply: Stree legal monster truck?