Shock Hoops??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shock Hoops??

I was reading on another forum about the Camburg 6.5 kit for the 1997-2003 f150 2wd. In the thread some guy mentioned his friend had the same kit but used shock hoops running through the factory mount and plated the lca to do a 8" coil over conversion. What the heck are shock hoops? And where can you find these.

Here is a link to the thread:
www.dezertrangers.com/vb/truck-talk/97033-3.htm

Old 01-22-2014, 09:26 PM
You'd most likely have to make them due to it being a custom suspension setup, but some company's make a kit that have them prebent and just need to be finished for the specific install.

It's what the top of the coilover bolts too.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:53 PM
Ok, I found a few people who pre make them. But the 6.5 kit says it's provides 10" of travel. So I have a few questions,

1) how much travel does my c/o need? If I ever did this, I would run the hoop through the factory shock mount, I wouldn't go high like the picture.
2) will these provide lift as well? The normal Camburg 6.5 kit comes with coil springs that help lift the truck more, how will replacing that with a coil over provide that lift?

Old 01-22-2014, 10:54 PM
You would need to measure the suspension change to figure out the travel, but if that guy ran it with an 8" coilover, I'd probably go with that. As for spring rate and valving on the coilover, might need to do some guess work.

There would be no need for the hoop if you bolted it in the stock location. To do this, you'd need to cut out the factory coil bucket and run a hoop, and yes it will stick above where the factory mount is, how far would need to be determined by cycling the suspension.

If I had to guess from reading that guy's post on DR, it'll still provide around the 3" of lift that the included coil springs with the kit would've provided by the spring rate on the coils (again, not sure on the spring rate you'd need). Otherwise there would've been problems from him using the included upper control arms. The rest of the lift will come from the spindle that's included.

By the time you end up putting this all together however, you could probably save up a bit more and pick up the dixon bro's kit, which will take a lot of the guesswork out of it.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:38 AM
Nah, I don't want it as extreme as Dixon Bros or Camburg's l/t. I was just wondering how much is involved in a C/O conversion. There is a good offroad shop here but I don't want to go through all that work, that's just money flying out the window. It'd be best to just stick with coil spring.

I know I said in the past I didn't want the frot track to increase but I started doing research on pre-runner trucks and notice a lot of guys out west do that. No body where I live has a kit like that. So to be different and have a sick Camburg mid travel kit, I can handle 1.5" on each side.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:37 PM
shock hoops are just tubes made to accommodate longer shocks. they move the mounting point for the shock so a longer shock can be used. they are usually custom because of how different each application can be.

You will probably only be able to use a 8" coil. I use a 10" coil. the picture above is basically using the stock mounting point. you have to go higher than the stock mounting point to be able for a shock hoop to work or else its pointless.

springs rates would probably be in the 600 range. I use 700 and I'm 4x4. but call scott at burg and ask him what he thinks, he helped me valve and set up my bypasses and now they're dialed.

Quick Reply: Shock Hoops??