1" lower rear

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2001 | 09:52 PM
|
1" lower rear

Does anyone know how to lower the rear of a 1987 f150 about 1", other than a couple of bags of sand? Putting on aftermarket shackles with a 2" additional drop will get the rear too low. it still has to be used as a truck, and i'm worried a 2" drop will affect driveshaft alignment. i know 1" sounds petty, but it will put the truck at the perfect "rake"!!

Old 09-03-2001 | 01:42 AM
Lightbulb shackles

Western Chassis makes an adjustable rear shackle that will fit your truck. Gives you a choice of either 1 or 2 inch drop. I installed a pair on my supercrew. I went for the 2" drop. Measured before and after installation and in reality it turned out to be 1 1/2 inches. I did also end up putting in a set of 2 degree shims under the rear leaf springs.

Old 09-03-2001 | 10:56 AM
|
Thumbs up 1" lower rear

the 1-2" option sounds PERFECT!! If someone could explain something,however. If trucks are made to run around with loads in the bed and trailers/boats behind them, why are the shims needed when dropping 2"?

Old 09-03-2001 | 12:56 PM
Question shims?

Was going to send you an email regarding a post, but you have that info blocked on your profile. If you want some more info, go to the supercrew group here and look for the post called "tried out belltech shackles"

Old 09-03-2001 | 10:30 PM
|
1" lower rear

I FOUND IT; THANKS ABUNCH FOR YOUR HELP. THE 1"-2", 2DEGREE-3DEGREE, FACTORY SHIM/NO FACTORY SHIM SURE GETS COMPLICATED. AS I MENTIONED BEFORE, WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A CONTRACTOR LOADS HIS TRUCK WITH TOOLS AND RUNS AROUND FOR YEARS AT A TIME? DOES HE HAVE ROARING AND VIBRATION PROBLEMS? I DON'T THINK SO: DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS?

Old 09-07-2001 | 06:24 AM
when you load the truck with weight, it compresses the leaf springs, lowering the truck by flattenning out the leafs, therefore basically not changing the pinion angle too much. When you drop just the rear of the spring with a shackle, you are pivoting the leaf spring at the front, changing the pinion angle quite a bit.

Old 09-07-2001 | 06:26 AM
i also forgot to mention that we have had a lot more vibration problems with supercrews, not the supercab. I know they have the same wheelbase and all, but its something about the longer cab that wants to transmit the vibration and booming noise.

Old 09-08-2001 | 07:50 PM
Question for lariat4by4

Lariat4by4, I have a 2000 supercap 2wdrive that has a vibration at 40 41 mph almost like a hopping of the rear end don't feel it in the wheel more in the seats see it in the mirrors. tires have been rebalanced and rotated which did not help. could it be pinion angle? would canging the shim help ifso where can I get the shims or do need to turn the one I have around sorry for the long post this is the only problem I have with the truck love everything else thanks

Old 09-08-2001 | 08:09 PM
most likely is a pinion angle problem. the best thing to do is to ask the dealership if they have a anglemaster measuring tool(its a optional dealer tool), and get them to measure it to determine if it needs shimming up or down. Theres really no way to tell otherwise, unless you were to start with like a 2deg. shim with the fat part at the back, and went from there.

Quick Reply: 1" lower rear