33" E rated tires (shock recommendations please!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014 | 12:45 PM
|
33" E rated tires (shock recommendations please!)

Hello all. I've done some searching but haven't quite found what i'm looking for so looking for a little help. I've got a 2003 FX4 screw with 150K miles. The shocks appear to be the original factory "ranchos". I leveled the truck a couple of months ago and now have a much harsher ride (which i expected). I also have installed E rated BFG's (285-65-18) which has made my driving experience even worse. I want a smoother ride and given what i have provided would like some recommendations. I drive 90% city/hwy and do very little off-roading (deer lease, beach, etc.). Thanks in advance!

Old 12-03-2014 | 01:32 PM
Former Sponsor
RS9000 adjustable shocks, but I am pretty bias.

Old 12-03-2014 | 02:09 PM
|
Those 9000's are a little pricey and i seldom will ever have a need for any adjustments as i'm pretty much on the pavement and don't play or abuse this truck. Just looking for a good all-around shock at a reasonable price that will smooth out my ride. I guess my confusion (or question) is the degree of dampening i should be looking for. Although not maxxed out, i did crank my t-bars quite abit to level this truck and by doing so really made for a stiff front end. Should I be looking for a shock with less or increased dampening ability? Thanks!

Old 12-03-2014 | 02:17 PM
Former Sponsor
What's your tire pressure at? Often times airing down a bit will improve the "harshness".

Originally Posted by cookj
Those 9000's are a little pricey and i seldom will ever have a need for any adjustments as i'm pretty much on the pavement and don't play or abuse this truck. Just looking for a good all-around shock at a reasonable price that will smooth out my ride. I guess my confusion (or question) is the degree of dampening i should be looking for. Although not maxxed out, i did crank my t-bars quite abit to level this truck and by doing so really made for a stiff front end. Should I be looking for a shock with less or increased dampening ability? Thanks!

Old 12-03-2014 | 03:58 PM
|
Max tire inflation is 80psi. I've played with the pressures and have found that 45psi in the front and 35psi in the rear results in about the smoothest ride. I don't like running these 10-plies that low and will probably bump the front up to 50 and 40 for the rears.

Old 12-03-2014 | 04:24 PM
Global Moderator &
Max tire inflation is 80psi. I've played with the pressures and have found that 45psi in the front and 35psi in the rear results in about the smoothest ride. I don't like running these 10-plies that low and will probably bump the front up to 50 and 40 for the rears.
I wouldn't. I've got E-rated Michelin LT tires on my truck now, and I called Michelin to find out what pressure to inflate them to. I was told to stick with the Ford factory pressure, since my new tires are the same size as my OEM tires were. So, it's 40 psi all around for ordinary driving.

The reason I got the load range E tires is because I tow, and when I am towing, the hitch load, plus the load of things I pack in the truck bed, along with the bed cap increases the loading on the axles to very near the limits of the OEM tires (measured on a CAT scale). So, when I load it that heavy, I increase the pressure all around to 55 psi. Both settings seem to keep the sidewall deflection about the same for the two loading conditions.

AND, I've found that my ride is very comfortable, actually better than with the old Goodyear Silent Armor tires that I replaced.

I think your harsh ride is due to the suspension change, and agree with the advice to reduce the pressure in the tires. If the ride is still "stiff" (no springiness) you could try a shock that has less dampening ability, but I think I'd go with adjustable shocks too, because if they aren't and the new ride is not right, you'd have to replace them too.

- Jack

Old 12-03-2014 | 04:24 PM
Former Sponsor
Your best bet (IMO to try and keep cost down) is to stick to a twin tube design shock. A monotube will be a firm/responsive ride. Some people like this style of ride and we do really well with our monotube but some find them to "harsh.". We make a shock for a "level" that covers 1-2.5" up front. E tires are just a tough tire.

Old 12-03-2014 | 04:49 PM
|
Guys, thanks for the input! So tell me Rancho, are you recommending the 9000s still, or, by "twin tube" are you suggesting the 5000 in lieu of a monotube such as the bilstein 4600? J&J, I agree with you on the adjustable shocks; I only want to do this once. I too have a trailer i plan to pull from time to time which is the reason I bought these tires (not to mention the shop gave me a pretty good deal so they could get rid of them).

Old 12-03-2014 | 05:15 PM
Former Sponsor
You mentioned cost so that is why I suggested the 5's. I REALLY like the 9000's they are legit, especially if you do decide to trailer. The 4600 is still a monotube so maybe too firm. Another thing about the 9000's, if you don't like them you have 90 days to return for a refund.
Both us and Billies come with a lifetime warranty, so that is a plus for you.

Guys, thanks for the input! So tell me Rancho, are you recommending the 9000s still, or, by "twin tube" are you suggesting the 5000 in lieu of a monotube such as the bilstein 4600? J&J, I agree with you on the adjustable shocks; I only want to do this once. I too have a trailer i plan to pull from time to time which is the reason I bought these tires (not to mention the shop gave me a pretty good deal so they could get rid of them).

Old 12-04-2014 | 10:23 AM
|
Originally Posted by Rancho Shocks
You mentioned cost so that is why I suggested the 5's. I REALLY like the 9000's they are legit, especially if you do decide to trailer. The 4600 is still a monotube so maybe too firm. Another thing about the 9000's, if you don't like them you have 90 days to return for a refund.
Both us and Billies come with a lifetime warranty, so that is a plus for you.
thanks Rancho. I've raised the front close to 2" and do not plan to go any higher, or, install a suspension lift (however, i might go with a bodylift, 34" tires and gears sometime down the road). Can you provide me the part # for the 5000 and 9000s? I seem to be getting different numbers from a few suppliers and want to make sure i have the right #. thanks alot!

Old 12-04-2014 | 10:54 AM
Former Sponsor
You have a super crew (2003) right?

thanks Rancho. I've raised the front close to 2" and do not plan to go any higher, or, install a suspension lift (however, i might go with a bodylift, 34" tires and gears sometime down the road). Can you provide me the part # for the 5000 and 9000s? I seem to be getting different numbers from a few suppliers and want to make sure i have the right #. thanks alot!

Old 12-04-2014 | 11:03 AM
I had Bilstein HD's on my '01 with a 6" RCD lift and 35" Summit Trail Climber CT's. They were a part of the lift kit itself. I thought it rode pretty good, all things considered.

Old 12-04-2014 | 11:18 AM
|
Originally Posted by Rancho Shocks
You have a super crew (2003) right?
yes, here are the specs...
2003 FX4 Supercrew Lariat
285/65/18 BFG (these tires actually measure 33.062" tall installed)
torsion bar crank to level truck

thanks,

Old 12-04-2014 | 11:22 AM
|
Originally Posted by dewalt17
I had Bilstein HD's on my '01 with a 6" RCD lift and 35" Summit Trail Climber CT's. They were a part of the lift kit itself. I thought it rode pretty good, all things considered.
Hey Dewalt. I had the silver bilsteins on my '03 Cummins QC4X and loved them. I even ran duals up front, mainly for the looks and believe it or not, the ride wasn't too firm at all. Still wish i had that truck!

Old 12-04-2014 | 11:26 AM
I am running Bilstein 5100's on my current truck. I like them as well.

Quick Reply: 33" E rated tires (shock recommendations please!)