35x12.5r17 on a 2014 f150

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015 | 07:42 PM
|
35x12.5r17 on a 2014 f150

Hey Guys,

So Ive done countless hours of research on the set up I want on my 14 f150 screw. For wheels, Ive decided on MT Classic 3, a 17x9 with a 0 offset. I want to put a 35/12.5r17 cooper stt mud tire on them. After talking with Alex @ f150lifts, I think I am sold on his kit. My only decision now is do I need to go for a full 3 inches with rear blocks, or will a 2.25-2.5
inch level out front work with this set up?

I know that I will have to trim some plastic valence either way, and that doesnt bother me. My question is at 2.5 inches, is there anything else that will need to be trimmed, that wouldnt with a full 3 inches up front? Is anyone running a setup similar to this? Do you have pictures?

I just hate to spend an extra 500ish dollars to gain a half inch of lift if it wont help me clear the tires any better. Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 01-10-2015 | 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by BlueJeans161
Hey Guys,

So Ive done countless hours of research on the set up I want on my 14 f150 screw. For wheels, Ive decided on MT Classic 3, a 17x9 with a 0 offset. I want to put a 35/12.5r17 cooper stt mud tire on them. After talking with Alex @ f150lifts, I think I am sold on his kit. My only decision now is do I need to go for a full 3 inches with rear blocks, or will a 2.25-2.5
inch level out front work with this set up?

I know that I will have to trim some plastic valence either way, and that doesnt bother me. My question is at 2.5 inches, is there anything else that will need to be trimmed, that wouldnt with a full 3 inches up front? Is anyone running a setup similar to this? Do you have pictures?

I just hate to spend an extra 500ish dollars to gain a half inch of lift if it wont help me clear the tires any better. Thanks in advance for your help!
I think what yer buying with that extra $500 is reliability and longevity for yer front-end components - provided geometry-correcting components are used to restore near-stock angles. If not, there will be still be some potentially detrimental conditions introduced.

A simple level/spacer kit @ > 2" places undue stress on CV's, BJ's and even tie-rods due to geometry changes.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/su...tions-etc.html

BTW - how do you plan to restore speedo/odo/shift point accuracy?

good luck
MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-10-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-10-2015 | 10:14 AM
|
Well maybe I should explain a little more. The kit I'm looking at is a coilover kit. It is designed to go from 0-3 inches of lift in the front. Based on my measurements/research, I could go to 2.5 inches in front without having my nose in the air with my STOCK rear blocks.

IF I want to go to the full 3 inches, I would have to add a rear block/shocks to keep my nose out of the air. An extra 300 give or take for the hardware, and I figure Ill spend an extra 1-2 to put it on. All for an extra half inch.

I have already taken the kit to my local ford dealer, and he says it shouldn't be any problem, they just put 2.5 inch RC blocks on theirs when they sell them, so I would actually be overdoing it. He also told me that if they put it on, they will flash my computer to put up to a 315/70/17 tire on it (35x12.5 in metric) for nothing. He does it to new trucks off the lot regularly.

Sooo my dilemma: is the extra half inch worth the extra 500ish dollars it would cost? Would it make the wheel tire package I'm looking at fit any better, or am I going to have to cut the same amount of plastic with both? As long as I am not going to get into any metal, or have my tires rub, I really don't mind to cut an extra quarter inch of my plastic valence to save 500 dollars, but if its going to keep me out of my fender, that's a different story.

Any input/pictures/experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-10-2015 | 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by BlueJeans161
Well maybe I should explain a little more. The kit I'm looking at is a coilover kit. It is designed to go from 0-3 inches of lift in the front. Based on my measurements/research, I could go to 2.5 inches in front without having my nose in the air with my STOCK rear blocks.

IF I want to go to the full 3 inches, I would have to add a rear block/shocks to keep my nose out of the air. An extra 300 give or take for the hardware, and I figure Ill spend an extra 1-2 to put it on. All for an extra half inch.

I have already taken the kit to my local ford dealer, and he says it shouldn't be any problem, they just put 2.5 inch RC blocks on theirs when they sell them, so I would actually be overdoing it. He also told me that if they put it on, they will flash my computer to put up to a 315/70/17 tire on it (35x12.5 in metric) for nothing. He does it to new trucks off the lot regularly.

Sooo my dilemma: is the extra half inch worth the extra 500ish dollars it would cost? Would it make the wheel tire package I'm looking at fit any better, or am I going to have to cut the same amount of plastic with both? As long as I am not going to get into any metal, or have my tires rub, I really don't mind to cut an extra quarter inch of my plastic valence to save 500 dollars, but if its going to keep me out of my fender, that's a different story.

Any input/pictures/experience with this would be greatly appreciated.
One hell of a dealer.

IF they will actually still honour yer warranty, get it in writing, as yer approach will definitely alter the angles. So, if any damage or premature wear would happen to occur ( more a matter of 'when, than 'if' ), yer covered. Language needs to be very specific.

I wonder what tire size they will actually use, as IDS (the tool they will use to flash yer PCM) only contains factory tire sizes. Confirm actual speed with a GPS when done to confirm.

May wanna add a regear to yer bucket list ....

good luck
MGD

Old 01-10-2015 | 03:03 PM
While the 3" will give you some extra clearance, unless your dealer is still going to still warranty and replace the ball joints, tie rod ends, cv axles, etc. a lot sooner than they would on a stock truck (as in they'll be wearing out every 10-15k) I wouldn't do it. Chances are your going to rub whether you went with a 2" or a 3" level due to the aggressive tire tread, the wider wheel, and the lower backspacing when comparing that wheel to a stock one. Basically what your trying to run is what a lot of people will go to a 4-6" suspension lift for.

Old 01-10-2015 | 11:01 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but anything more than 2" up front can cause problems without a drop. It's the reason I went with only a 2" up front and instead went with a narrower 35" tire. I still have some scrub at off-angle turns but I can live with it.

Old 01-11-2015 | 07:22 PM
|
My issue is if i go with a drop spindle lift, i cant run a 17 inch wheel.

Quick Reply: 35x12.5r17 on a 2014 f150