Rough Ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough Ride

Hello
I have a 2001 f150 with the 4.6. My truck rides kinda rough. I put new tires on last winter. I haven't rplaced the shocks it has 194,000 miles on it. Like when you go down a country road it just rides rough. Would shocks help at all? On the highway it rides pretty good. Or should I just chalk it up as a 15 year old truck with a lot of miles and startin to just wear out?? Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!!
Thanks So Much!!!
Kevin

Old 10-21-2015, 02:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kcmably
Hello
I have a 2001 f150 with the 4.6. My truck rides kinda rough. I put new tires on last winter. I haven't rplaced the shocks it has 194,000 miles on it. Like when you go down a country road it just rides rough. Would shocks help at all? On the highway it rides pretty good. Or should I just chalk it up as a 15 year old truck with a lot of miles and startin to just wear out?? Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!!
Thanks So Much!!!
Kevin
If all the front end parts are original, they're way past worn out. To improve the ride, shocks, ball joints, tie rods, bushings, sway bar links, etc would drastically help.

Did you put p metric or LT tires on the truck?

Old 10-21-2015, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks 2008 XL. Im sure thats the problem. My front end is all original except for wheel bearings. My tires are LT Goodyears. I guess Ill start replacing the front end parts as $$$ allows. I knew someone would help me!!!
Thanks again!!!!

Old 10-21-2015, 03:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kcmably
Thanks 2008 XL. Im sure thats the problem. My front end is all original except for wheel bearings. My tires are LT Goodyears. I guess Ill start replacing the front end parts as $$$ allows. I knew someone would help me!!!
Thanks again!!!!
If you're running LT's on a half ton, it will ride a little more rough than normal. If they're load E, 80 psi max, try airing them down to 40-45 psi.

If any ball joints or tie rods do in fact seem good and tight, try shocks first. But check everything really well. The bushings may be totally gone at this point. Sway bar end link bushings also tend to fall apart fairing fast.

Moog problem solver would be your best choice with new front end parts. Just make sure to grease them every oil change. If you don't want to spend a ton, but was a decent shock, the high end monroes are good. Just don't get the cheap economatic. They're blue and easy to spot.

Quick Reply: Rough Ride