Suspension overhaul?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension overhaul?

Good morning guys, I have an 03 XLT with 195,000 miles on it. Its time for new ball joints and other parts. The ball joints were replaced about five years ago. Inspected the ball joints on both sides and thy are leaking grease from the boots. I plan to replace with upper and lower control arms on both sides (easier and the lowers will have new bushings), the sway bar bushings and links, and shocks. My questions is should I go ahead and replace the factory tie rods (in/out) while I and doing all the work and I have to have an alignment anyway.? Thanks for the help.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:07 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
You should at least check them for looseness. They aren't that expensive so replacement is good preventive maintenance. If they have never been replaced they need to be. Also check the idler arm and pitman arm for play. I just went through my 02 and the tie rods ends and idler arm had play along with the lower ball joints at 135k miles.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadie
You should at least check them for looseness. They aren't that expensive so replacement is good preventive maintenance. If they have never been replaced they need to be. Also check the idler arm and pitman arm for play. I just went through my 02 and the tie rods ends and idler arm had play along with the lower ball joints at 135k miles.
Thanks Roadie, figured I might as well do it while I have a part.

Quick Reply: Suspension overhaul?