even out suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2001, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
even out suspension

I have a 99 f150 supercab 4x4 and i want to know if there is anyway to lift the front suspension so that it is level with the rear.I dont really want to lift the truck because i like the height of the rear but i dont like the way the front end droops down.I was going to adjust the torsion bars but i dont want to screw up the alignment.Any suggestions

Old 11-03-2001, 12:18 AM
Cranking the torsion bars up is the only way to go. Unlike Chevys, we cant use use blocks or springs to level our truck. Ford trucks come with IFS, Independent Front Suspension. The only way to level the truck is by cranking the torsion bars. A lot of people do it, any dealership or service center will do it or if your ambitous you can do it yourself. Afterwards you may have to have the front realigned but whoever cranks your bars can take care of that. Good luck, let me know about any other questions.

Old 11-09-2001, 03:14 PM
Red face

YOu cant screw up the alignment. There is absolutley no other way to raise the front end except for coil spacers. Besided the alignment will only cost what... 50 bucks.

Old 11-09-2001, 03:14 PM
Red face

YOu cant screw up the alignment. There is absolutley no other way to raise the front end except for coil spacers. Besides the alignment will only cost what... 50 bucks.

Old 11-13-2001, 12:26 AM
Nikko,

How do you use blocks on a new chevy? They have IFS too

Old 11-15-2001, 12:08 PM
It appears you only need a inch or so to eliminate the rake in the rear end of the f150. I pick my f150 4 by today and I intend to eliminate this condition immediately!

On my toyota 4x4 I cranked in more preload on the torrision bars and it made the front end too stiff and light on the front end (handling sucked). So, I replaced the torrision bars with a larger diameter bar, eliminating the need to crank-in as much preload. If heavier torrision bars are availible, I'd recommend installing them first, it'll be worth the money!

Jay

Old 11-16-2001, 01:17 PM
Well I picked up my new f150 4x4 on 11/15/01 and immediately took out the wrench and tape measure and cranked-up the torision bars for an additional 1 inch. This took about 10 minutes. The truck sits almost level and rides a hell of a lot better. I would have raised it higher but the bolts are no long enough to crank in anymore preload.

I recommend this to all f150 owners who have torision bar suspension.

Jay

Old 11-17-2001, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by boardcat
The truck sits almost level and rides a hell of a lot better. I would have raised it higher but the bolts are no long enough to crank in anymore preload.
Jay
You cranked them all the way and only got 1 inch?
You bought a Screw?

Old 11-19-2001, 03:56 PM
i got 1.5'' out of mine,and i still have alot left on the right side,but the left is all the way up,the front end is a little higher than the rear now and it handles GREAT!! only problem is my left front used to be my right rear and it gets alot less traction now during braking,but wheel hop has been severly decreased,or maybe i've just been takin it easy on bumps.

Old 11-19-2001, 03:59 PM
and my alignment is just fine,the wheel turns on it's own a little when i get to about 10 mph when braking in ruts on the road though,but i'm sure i can fine tune it and get it perfect

Old 11-21-2001, 05:00 PM
i actually just cranked preload into the torsion bars(i guess) it made the front end stiffer,but it still rides pretty much the same and handles great too.

Old 12-06-2001, 01:07 PM
[what do you mean I bought a screw? Stock bolts were pretty short to start with, unlike my toyota. Maybe the 2002 shortend the bolts so the misalignment of the tires, CV boots, etc. wasn't as severe? I was pretty surprised how short they where?

I noticed the lift I did created rubbing of the CV boot ribs. Not sure if this was there before the lift, but I was constantly changing CV boots on my last truck because of this.

Anyone have insight of the life of a CV boot with this angle change?

You cranked them all the way and only got 1 inch?
You bought a Screw? [/B][/QUOTE]

Old 12-08-2001, 11:41 AM
Screw = Super Crew Duh!

Quick Reply: even out suspension