3-4 VS. 4-6 Drop??!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3-4 or 3-5 or 4-6 Drop??!!

Can you guys help me figure out what is the best thing to do to lower my '99 Regular Cab Flareside?

Dropped Spindles are out of the question for a late model Ford. Bell-Tech, who has been building drop spindles for years, says they tried it on the new Fords and it wasn't user friendly at all.

They say "Springs" are the only way to get a 3" drop. Then, I guess you have to install a Caster/Camber Bolt Kit for your upper control arms to bring the rascal back into alignment.

For a 4-6 drop DJM wants to install upper and lower control arms plus springs on the front end. That's a considerable investment over just a pair of springs for $90. I guess that extra inch of drop gets expensive?!!

I know you can buy yourself a lot of tire wear problems if you screw up your suspension. Bell-Tech says their 3-4 drop kit, using a $90 set of springs in the front and hangers and shackles in the rear, can be aligned without any tire wear problems. Guaranteed. I wonder if they will stand behind that after the sale is made?!!

Chassis Tech will sell you a set of 3"-Dropped leaf springs
and a 2" shackle to get you down to 5" in the rear. I liked the sound of that.

Maybe that's the answer!? BELL-TECH 3" Drop Springs in the front and Chassis-Tech 5" Drop in the rear?

What do you guys, who are interested in lowering, think?

Last edited by Bill Voyles; 11-05-2001 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-05-2001, 08:33 PM
Well, I have the belltech 3/4on my truck and I have not had any unusual front tire wear on the truck.

I myself dont think too highly of the DJM 4/6 dropmainly the rear 6" portion. Dropping the rear includes a rear axle flip kit which requires C-notching the frame so the axle wont be hitting the frame when you hit a bad bump. The Chassis tech on the other hand sounds like a good idea but i also wonder about the strength of the springs and load handling ability of the truck. Springs designed to lower the rear of your truck I would think wouldnt hold up to heavy loads as well as the factory springs would.

Just my .02 cents

Old 11-05-2001, 08:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have never heard anything bad about Belltech, they seem to have their stuff together. Usually what I've seen for a three inch front drop, is 2 inch drop A-arms on the bottom and a one inch spring. The A-arm corrects for suspension geometry so the ride is like the factory, but with a 1" lowering spring. The rear four inch drop is most likely the shackle and hanger combo. The six inch drop, if I'm correct, is a "flip kit". These put the axle on top of the springs, instead of under. From what I have heard, anything over a 4" rear drop should get a C-notch installed to keep the axle from hitting the frame while driving. I have never heard of a three inch front drop spring, sounds weird I'm about get a set of 2" shackles for the rear, and then later I may buy the 2" front A-arms. I like the "nose down" look. If that doesn't do it for me, I'll get the other parts to complete a 3/4. I don't see going lower than that, unless I go the airbag route. Speaking of airbags, I'm done talking now Do what you want, just make sure they will honor that "guarantee",,,,,98

Old 11-05-2001, 08:44 PM
Smile

D'OH, the freak beat me to it,,,,,98

Old 11-05-2001, 10:32 PM
Thanks for your help.... 98Screamer and f150freak

I forgot to mention that Bell-Tech's 3-4 drop kit is pretty simple. It involves just a spring on the front for a 3" drop. The rear is a simple 4" Hanger and Shackle Kit. It's $408 with free shipping from Summit.

For some reason my truck sits really high in the rear. So, with the best measuring I can do, I want to go down at least 5 inches in the rear. 4-inches wouldn't do it using the existing springs.

Chassis Tech offer 2", 3" or 4" leaf spring drops. It's a simple replacement spring. It costs $149 a pair. If you want to drop it another inch you can buy 1" shackles for $24. Of course, you have to buy special shocks that are designed for lowered vehicles or they will bottom out. And, you need two 4-degree shims to correct the angle of the rear-end pinion with the drive shaft. But this is the way I think I'm going to go. If I get in trouble with hitting the bumper stops on the frame, I think you can buy shorter ones.

Old 11-06-2001, 02:57 AM
Thumbs up Belltech 3/4

I also have a Belltech 3/4 drop on my truck. It was installed about 4 months ago and there are no signs of uneven tire wear. It seems as though your set on a 3/5 drop. You might want to check out Western Chassis they have a 3/5 drop available which is adjustable to 3/4! I have heard good things about their stuff too! on the other hand Chassis Tech = AIM and AIM = BAD! I have heard lots of bad things about their service and product quality so you might want to stay away from them. As for 3in. springs vs. A-arms it comes down to two things IMO: 1. being price and 2. aftermarket wheels. If you can afford the A-arms then I would get them if you plan on some new wheels. Because depending on the wheel and tire combo you might want to go lower than 3in or may have to go up to 2in (what I'm trying to say is A-arms give to ajustability if needed ). If you want 3in leaf springs in the rear you might want to check out the Hotchkis ones, since they will really increase handling too.

Old 11-06-2001, 03:18 PM
99flareside ... you're mak'in my mouth water ...

Even the guys who only like "lifted" trucks seem to have nice things to say about your black beauty. It's gorgeous! I like the way it sits on the wheels both front and rear. You have made my mind up for me ... I'm going 3-4 with BELLTECH!!!

Now, I have to bring this up. Of course, your truck would look even nicer with all the "L" ground effects ... or something similar from an after market supplier. I have been looking and looking for someone who offers a kit and haven't found anything that I like yet. Do you have any source for me to look at?

JCWhitney offers a 3" Polyethelene Side Ground Effects for $59.
I wish it was 5" wide instead. Please let me know of anything that would fill the bill. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-06-2001, 05:51 PM
Hey Bill, that is normal for your rear end to sit higher than the front of your truck. All F150s are suppose to have a 2 1/2 inch offset in the rear of the truck.

And here is another to drool over

Last edited by f150freak; 11-06-2001 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-06-2001, 07:25 PM
And another, Photoshop enhanced of course,,,,98

Old 11-07-2001, 12:40 AM
Hey Screamer, looks sweet! Use photoshop to put some nice rims on it and you will have one sharp pic.

When are you gonna drop it anyway?

Old 11-07-2001, 01:19 AM
Cool

I just finished that mock-up because that's the rims I'm getting as a fill in until I get some "decent rims" I have the 16" alloys right now. The first installment of the drop comes when I get the STX wheels. The guy who is selling them to me (jasonAg03 I think) is giving me a set of 2" shackles with them. He has since lifted his truck and put on off road tires. These are the rims I'm going to get eventually,,,,98

Old 11-07-2001, 01:33 AM
99 flareside:

Truck looks nice...........looking to go with a 2-4 drop on my supercrew with 20in boyd coddington "smoothies" What "spacing" did you go with?

20x8 20x9 20x10?

thanks

Old 11-07-2001, 03:15 AM
Cool Mmm... more!

Bill,
Thanks for the kind words first of all . I was thinking of adding some ground effects but thats not near the top of my mods "to do" list. But if I do get some I'm definetly going with the Roush ones! They look sweet! As for other suppliers I would say check out www.razzi.com www.teamxenon.com and www.godfathercustoms.com might have something. I haven't seen the JC Whitney ones but I have a feeling they don't look so good and/or are cheap!

Fordboy01,
My Boyd Coddingtons are 20x9.5 wide. As for back spacing and offset you don't have to worry about those since Boyd Coddington custom makes the wheels for you! When you order the wheels you just tell them your truck make, year and amount of drop and they figure all that stuff out for ya! Don't forget to post some pics when you get your drop and wheels on.

Heres another appetizer too!

Last edited by 99flareside; 11-07-2001 at 03:17 AM.
Old 11-07-2001, 10:08 AM
Thumbs up

Nothing like a reg. cab flareside dropped on 20's! Nice truck 99!!! Get some of these, they'd look sweet on that chrome grille,,,,98

Next post, damn attachments, hehe

Last edited by 98SCREAMER; 11-07-2001 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-07-2001, 10:22 AM
Thumbs up

These!

Quick Reply: 3-4 VS. 4-6 Drop??!!