Bad wheel hop

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Bad wheel hop

Hi,
I've got a single cab F-150 with some motor mods and a 3-5 Drop from western chassis, anyways when I get on it the rear end hops like a S.O.B, whats the deal, anyone else have this problem? What should I do besides traction bars? Thanks

Old 01-08-2002, 04:58 AM
Hi True Blue ....

That sounds like a broken shock to me. Or, it could be several other things. Like a lost wheel weight, worn out shocks, tires that are terribly out of balance, a rear end out of alignment or tires that have are worn so bad they have flat spots on them.

Something isn't right. And I don't think traction bars are the answer to the problem. First, I would make sure you haven't thrown a wheel weight. That's pretty common. If a wheel is terribly out of balance, it will hop bad enough to feel. And, if your shocks are worn they will allow it to hop even worse. So that is where I would begin my search for the root of the problem.

Traction bars are used to prevent "Spring Wrap-Up" under extreme torque situations ... like starting out or stopping abruptly.
They are great for that but you say you just have wheel hop while just coasting down the road? I'll bet $2 on a lost wheel weight. Let me know what it was. OK?

Hope I have helped.

BillVoyles
RedLowRyder

Old 01-14-2002, 03:05 PM
I had lots of Wheel hop too, but only when accelerating from a standstill... Traction bars elliminated the wheel hop completely. However, I now have tremendous wheel spin. I'm in the process of replacing my 30 gallon fuel tank with a 16 gallon tank placed behind the rear axle. Should help in getting the center of gravity of the rear axle. Not much, but it'll help.

Old 01-14-2002, 11:48 PM
Hi Bill,
Sorry about the incomplete info, the wheel hop is only when I'm at a stand still and I punch it, other then that she go's down the road just fine, but thanks for the info anyways!!

Old 01-15-2002, 10:17 AM
in that care, trueblue, traction bars are the best option. you could always get a few 100lb sand bags and throw them on the bed of your truck, that will eliminate the hop and give u traction at the same time.

Quick Reply: Bad wheel hop