Help with rs 9000 shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with rs 9000 shocks

My new rs 9000 shocks came yesterday. Are you guys sure this isn't too hard of a job to do ???? They are a little intimidating, and they are compressed and I don't see how or when they are going to expand or whatever. I guess the front ones are shorter because that is what I got. I am not an idiot, I have changed the brakes, put on the throttle body spacer, modular brush guard, and step bars. I have a haynes manual, but some added advise and maybe a little confidence boost would be nice. Thanks to all.

98 f-150 off road
outland modular brushguard
westin step bars
profession tint, and exaust
vent visors
catchall floor liners
K&N system
afraid throttle body spacer
extang soft cover
catch & release wild trout license plate frame

Old 01-09-2002, 11:34 AM
Easy job, don't worry. I do hear that the rears on the f150 are hard to get to, but as long as you have the right tools(think you need a deepwell 18mm?) it is no problem. They are compressed, because they are not a gas charged shock like most are. They are a cellulose or cellular shock is what I think they are called. The springs in the rear and the torsion bars up front will keep them expanded. Good Luck.

Old 01-09-2002, 12:34 PM
I installed RS9000's on all 4's last week; not a problem on my SuperCrew. I thought if I un-bolted the shock the truck corner would colapse - not the case as mentioned. Make sure you also have a 9/16" deep socket for the replacement nut on top of the shocks, that is what comes with the RS9000's.

Once you get the shocks installed, try the setting 1 first then move up to 5 to experience what these things can do - nice replacement product. You might want to try different setting on the front than the rear; I have my "winter" to 2 in front and 1 in the rear.

Good luck!

Old 01-09-2002, 07:47 PM
fly-

You can pull or push the shock piston to whatever position that you need with your hand. The install is straightforward and simple. Remember that the stock shocks have an open ended wrench holding area on the upper piston rod that keeps them from spining. The rear uppers are accessible from the rear fender well with a 3/8" ratchet and a deep socket. Don't overtighten the polyurethane bushings and use waterproof polyurethane grease on the mating surfaces. Don't overtighten the rear lower bolts/nuts as it will compress the mount and ruin the bushing. I had to jack up the fronts a bit, but the rears were done on level ground. Good Luck !!

Old 01-10-2002, 11:07 PM
Turn the shocks to position #1. Then if you still cannot expand the shocks, get some muscles!

If you are asking for help installing shocks, you got to wonder about your statement [b]"I am not an idiot..."[b]

Very simple job if you are just installing the shocks. now the air system is another story.

Old 01-11-2002, 09:55 AM
thanks

Thanks for the advise on the shocks. I went to autozone and purchased the grease and sockets. I will start tonight, and see how things go. Most places around here want about $80 bucks, and I won't do it. A co-workers husband just got some step bars, so we are going to work on things together. As far as Matts response. Well I hit the gym 5 days a week, so muscles are no problem. I was just wanting to get a little advise and possible things to look out for, and so on. I am a social worker not a mechanic, so I think I am doing pretty good. I will post on how the process went. I was confused on why the were not banded together, and how they were to expand after being put on. I guess matt answered that for me in his own special way.
thanks for the help, even Matt.

Old 01-11-2002, 04:54 PM
You're Welcome !!

Old 01-12-2002, 08:27 PM
Talking Got the shocks on !!!!!

Well we finished the shock job. Damn, the first shock took over an hour, but then I guess the first one is always the worse. We ended up breaking the bolt. The right rear only took 15 min, and the two fronts were a piece of cake, 15 min a piece. Couldnt' figure out how to keep them from spining, and then I found the place to put the wrench under the mount. We did the two rear first and then put the step bars on his truck, ( dodge ) . He got rancho step bars of e bay for $90 bucks, and they are for a extended cab. I was almost ready to give up and go to monroe, but I stayed strong and wouldn't give up. Hey guys thanks for the help and I hope they were a good investment. I haven't really tried them out yet, just drove to the store to get a twelve of miller lite, but i tried to hit all the holes that I could and they feel great. Thanks again, and have a good one !!!!!

Old 01-13-2002, 01:34 AM
fly1969
As I read the first sentence of your post, I knew which shock you started with. Glad you got it done. It might be a good thing to get that one out of the way first. Makes the rest fly by.

Quick Reply: Help with rs 9000 shocks