Squeaky Front End

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002 | 09:07 AM
|
Angry Squeaky Front End

My front end squeaks, bad. When I turn the wheel mostly. I've heard other Ford's do it, so I figure its a common problem with a common solution but my seach of the boards didn't find anything conclusive. I've got a 97 150, 2WD. I've greased both factory grease points. Is it the knuckle joints or something? Its driving me crazy. Its like my truck is farting in public. Please help.

Old 02-17-2002 | 07:26 PM
idler arm. seem's to be the prob. have seen a few replaced. when turning the wheel, it squeek's.

Old 02-17-2002 | 07:30 PM
look under tsb it can get under warrenty if you have ext one

Old 02-17-2002 | 10:18 PM
Another spot to check are the D-bushings on the anti-sway bar. Drop the brackets (2 bolts on each).

Old 02-17-2002 | 11:04 PM
Poke a hole in the CV joint boots just big enough to get a straw for the WD40 to juice it up!!
Made mine quit squeakin!!
JJ

Old 02-18-2002 | 07:55 PM
I had the exact same problem with my truck. It started about two and a half years after I bought it new. It would squeak really loudly whenever you turned the steering wheel. I took it in to get it fixed under warranty and the dealership never told me exactly what they did.

When I looked underneath it looked to me that they had replaced the center linkage and both the pittman and idler arms. It hasn't squeaked ever since. (knock on wood)

My suspicion is that the rustproofing oil I had applied might have eaten away a little at the seals and caused the squeaking, but the dealership didn't say anything about it.

Mine is a 4x2 so I know it's not the CV boots. Before I took it in, I tried injecting some grease into the one and only fitting I could find, but it didn't make any difference.

FWIW, my parent's '92 Taurus wagon also makes that squeaking noise, though not quite as bad as mine was. Other than being annoying it doesn't seem to be a problem or a safety issue.

Quick Reply: Squeaky Front End