Hellwig rear anti sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2002 | 01:44 PM
I installed a "standard" height Hellwig bar in the rear about a year ago. Last week, I installed 2 inch drop shackles without changing the end links. Now as everyone knows, you only get 1 to 1.5 inches of drop from the 2 inch drop shackles. If you drop more than 2 inches, you will need shorter end links (just cut down the center spacer and get shorter bolts).

Old 07-06-2002 | 01:09 AM
I just tried to install my Hellwig rear bar tonight, and gave up on it after about an hour and a half. I had the same problem with the fiber lock nuts for the short end links. The nuts are course and the short end link bolts are fine thread. The nuts fit the long end link bolts just fine as they are course. I do not understand why the two different length bolts have two different threads.

Does any one know if this bar is supposed to be under or above the driveshaft? I have a wire harness above on the rear end that looks like it would get in the way. The instructions say above, but then why do they include the two different length end link bolts? It looks like the longer ones are if it is above, and the shorter ones for below.

And by the way, my bar looks terrible also.

Doug.

Old 07-06-2002 | 01:38 AM
Most guys have had to mount it under the axle, because of brake lines or something on the top of the axle. I don't think it makes a difference which way it goes, to tell you the truth. It does the exact same thing no matter which way it sits, so go ahead and mount it underneath.,,,,,98

Old 07-06-2002 | 01:49 PM
DougS,

The bar comes with 2 differing sizes of u-bolts for the two different size axles. I have the 3.55 LS which I think is a 9.75", which in turn, has a larger axle housing thank the non-LS differential.

I've got all of the wiring harnesses and brake lines/connections too, but I installed my bar above and forward of the axle. I had the clearance. The u-bolts are angled 45 degrees forward.

Old 07-06-2002 | 02:00 PM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
98SCREAMER:

Last night I bought 02XLT's and put it on my truck at 1:00a.m. what he had was the bar for the 2" drop shackle.

If you want we could meet up somewhere and you can take a look at how it looks and get an idea of how to install it. Took me a total of 2 hours... but i'd say 2/3 of that was trying to figure out the worthless instructions.

If you ever get it... I could help you. after doing mine I'm very confident that I can do it in 1 hour. Hell... It was dark last night out in my driveway.

Let me know... I'd be happy to give a hand on your install.

btw... BIG improvement.

Old 07-06-2002 | 03:40 PM
Thumbs up

I used to have some Yokahama AVS/ST tires on the truck, and the handling was outstanding. They finally drove me nuts with the racket they made, and I bought a set of used factory 17's with 275/60's. I've been wanting to get the handling back ever since. Plus, it's one of the only mods that the wife agrees to. Go figure?,,,,,98

Talleywacker:

I will be doing the install at home when and if I ever get one. Having a full inventory of air tools helps quite a bit on my at home mods I WOULD however, love to have help with my electric fan hookup. I am going to do that whenever I get home and have money at the same time.

Old 07-06-2002 | 04:24 PM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
No problem... If i ever figure it out myself. It's off right now because I just burnt my 3rd relay.

I'm gonna get another bosch 30/40amp relay but I'm setup using a bosch high current starter relay. maybe that'll make it work.

Old 07-06-2002 | 05:24 PM
I know how you feel, my bumper mounted fog lights have burned out three relays as well. I know it's not as critical as engine cooling, but annoying nonetheless. How did that prototype pulley thing ever turn out? You still running it? That's another thing I keep resolving to do, sigh......98

Old 02-08-2004 | 04:48 PM
Rear Sway Bar and Blocks

Can I installed the Hellwig anti sway bar on the rear of my truck with a set of 2" lift blocks in the rear?

Old 02-08-2004 | 04:48 PM
Rear Sway Bar and Blocks

Can I installed the Hellwig anti sway bar on the rear of my truck with a set of 2" lift blocks in the rear?

Quick Reply: Hellwig rear anti sway bar