How long do the balljoints last??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2002 | 02:21 AM
JMTruck
I think I have you beat. I had 140K when I changed mine. I bought the truck used with 86K on it so they might have been replaced. They were Ford OE type parts and none of the reports I have ever seen on this truck ever listed balljoints. The installer siad they looked OE to him too.

Old 08-23-2002 | 02:28 AM
|
Wink

That's not neccessarily a good thing, though I'm still tire shopping, sigh. I'm leaning toward Dunlop Sport Rovers or Falken S/TZ01's. Pep Boys quoted me a price of $221 a tire for Sport Rovers in 275/60/17. I almost had a coronary right there, LOL!,,,,98

Old 08-23-2002 | 02:40 AM
Your right that's not a good thing if they were OE joints. Truck drove fine up untill about 133K.

I don't blame ya for almost dying on PepBoys floor. I would have too. Did they kiss you before they tried to screw you? Sorry that's a little rude, but that would be a major ripoff. Have you tried www.tirerack.com, just a guess?

Old 08-23-2002 | 07:09 AM
Well, 93K miles is not a record but what I meant in my first post is that I have been riding over those ball joints for all those 93K since I purchase the truck brand new, and I ride hard. Besides, here in PR the roads are almost like off roading. I think this ball joints are doing a great job even without the fittings.

My first truck was a Mitsubhisi Trok 4x4 and I was able to grease almost everything since there were fittings almost everywhere. Good for maintenance. I sold it with 100K miles and never change the ball joints.

Anyway, I am ready to make changes if neccesary.

Old 08-23-2002 | 11:28 AM
my upper ball joints went at 50,000 kilomiters and it seems that these sealed ball-joints only do well in hotter climets

Old 08-23-2002 | 01:51 PM
98Screamer,

I have the Dunlop Sport Rovers on mine and like them. I have 255/55s up front and 275/60s out back. That is WAY TOO much for those 275/60s! I know I didn't pay near that much for mine, my wife would have killed me. I'd shop around for them.

Old 09-18-2002 | 01:43 PM
|
Thumbs up

Well, I just got a lesson in tire maintenance yesterday Remember me saying after I changed the shocks, that something wasn't quite right still?? Well I finally pulled into a small independent shop yesterday, and had them check the front Suspension out. The guy was VERY honest, and let me know there was minimal play in the tie rods and idler arm, but nothing to worry about yet. He did suggest a tire balance and rotation, though. I had mentioned the steering wheel had begun to shimmy in the last week or two, which is why I have been more concerned lately. So, I left there and headed over to Wal Mart(needed an oil change anyway) I had my doubts, but I had them do a rebalance and rotation, hoping for the best. It worked!! I was completely taken by surprise! The truck does not shimmy anymore, and it stays "on center" much better. I guess I will balance and rotate my "new" tires more often These tires were on the rims when I bought them a year ago, and I never planned on keeping the tires this long. Talk about a relief, $67.?? including the Mobil-1 oil change,,,,,98

The real test will come in about 20 minutes, have to go out on the horrible excuse for an interstate. Interstate 40 in Oklahoma City, lol!

Last edited by 98SCREAMER; 09-18-2002 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-19-2002 | 03:02 AM
Well that's great news. Glad it wasn't anything major. I'm overdue on as well and hope just a balance and rotation fixes mine. Somehow I don't think it will, mine shimmys pretty bad side to side. Ford service advisor said my wheels and tires 265x75 BFG AT's on AR Baja's need to be dynamic balanced (which is balanced side to side) as well as satic balanced (up and down). He wanted $20 a wheel to do this, my tire shop does it for free, can you guess where I'm going.

PS. That's still the Expy bumper on the front of your truck right? Are those foglights clear lenses? If so where did you get them, mine are the OE fluted type? Maybe it's just that yours are in much better (newer) shape.

Old 09-19-2002 | 07:57 AM
|
Thumbs up

Yep, it's still the Expy bumper under all that urethane It's a Stillen bumper cover, fits like a glove. The "foglights" are actually 94/98 Chevy APC signals. I figured I had enough lights with six inchers behind the grill, and two smaller ones in the middle of the bumper. The bumper lights hold a pair of auxilliary signals wired to the factory ones, and also a pair of strobe lights. I just got through doing the wiring yesterday. Here's a pic I took last night.,,,,98

Last edited by 98SCREAMER; 09-19-2002 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-20-2002 | 12:14 AM
Well hell ain't that just neat. But shame on you for using Chevy parts, at least it's not true Chevy parts. Did you think of this on our own or copy on someones design? Yeah, I guess two 6's behind the grill is more than enough light. Was there much modification to fit the Chevy signals in there? I'm guessing you had to go buy Chevy bulb sockets? Looks like it comepletly fills the bumper cover holes. Looks really good. If I ever do a bumper cover (doubtful, IMO wouldn't look right on 4x4... or would it?).

On other notes I'm going to try and reblance my tires tomorrow? Wish me as much luck as you had.
Take care

Old 10-09-2002 | 07:20 AM
Get an alignment done. on a stock truck your ball joints are a part of the control arm when you go to replace them the dealer is going to hand you the entire upper arm with the ball joint already attached.

Old 10-09-2002 | 10:27 AM
|
Thumbs up

I bought new tires, and the problems were 100% solved. No shimmy, odd steering quirks, bad ride, etc.... ALL gone! I do recommend a balance and rotation and shocks to anyone whos' truck is starting to feel not so new anymore. These three things plus new tires fixed everything, and I have 86,000 miles on it. It feels like when I bought it with 24k.,,,,98

Quick Reply: How long do the balljoints last??