86 f-150 wobble and clunk in front end

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002 | 09:13 PM
|
Unhappy 86 f-150 wobble and clunk in front end

86 f-150 2wd and just recently i have noticed i have a serious wobble developing from the front end it is during accel and decel btween 25-40mph and then smoothes out till 65 and comes back

and also when i go all the way to the lock for a left turn i get a clunk clunk noise and it almost feels like the pass side tire (front)is moving in a manner other than supposed to ...ahhh terrible thought .the other day i noticed the pass side front tire was leaning in toward the truck the drivers side looked ok and i know there is some alignment issues bc my tires are showing wear along the outer edge(fronts only)i am wondering if this clunk is a tie rod end??wow i am in a tight spot i am currently jobless so with little cash i cant take the truck to a real shop and drop it on them and say FIX IT! wow damn seasonal jobs

any help is greatly appreciated

and another question well im here why is it that people say it appears that my rear axle is slightly off center to the right from the front wheels what causes this

Old 12-07-2002 | 10:49 PM
this sounds more like a bad ball joint to me. My 89 & 93 trucks made some interesting clunking noises when the ball joints were shot.

Sorry to hear about the job situation, but if this is a ball joint, have both on the same side one. Your paying the same labor to do 1 or 2.

Good luck

Old 12-09-2002 | 09:42 PM
|
my truck

<<comes in with ok news i guess
<<gets on his soap box and begins with "ahem ahem"

to those that this is concerning ,after further analysis of my clunk/wobble issue i have reason to believe that the source of my problem is wheel bearings because the only looseness that i noticed during my wobble this way and that way test is the driverside tire seems to have quite a bit of play so i called a friend who is knowledgable in the automotive field to come watch as i wobble and he without reasonable doubt sait it seems to be a wheel bearing issue because there is nothing else moving other than the wheel and hub assy.when i wobbled and got the -tink tink sound- so due to the fact that the bearings are under 5$ at the local auto zone i am having him help me achange these friday...
<<<<<steps down from his soapbox and as he is walking away he yells "oh yeah i hope you all wish me luck"

Old 12-11-2002 | 11:34 AM
I really hope its just your wheel bearings. I had the exact same problem, same symptoms, same place, everything, on my '90 F 150, and it was bad ball joints. Try as I might, I could not remove them at all. They are completely siezed up inside the steering knuckle. Another guy who knows more about front ends looked at 'em and said that I'd probably have to drop the axle and have a machine shop press them out, if they could. I may just ry to find another axle/knuckle at a junkyard from an old, low mileage wreck. Speaking of that if anyone knows what years of twin I beams are compatable with 1990 (Dana 44), lemme know.

I'd say that if your ball joints (especially the upper) are siezed, or the bottom of the ball joint is not flush with the steering knuckle, dont even try to touch them yourself. The ball joint press you get at auto zone wont fit over (my) F 150s ball joint anyway. Goooooooooood luck. I know about the jobless thing, I'm a painter, and business is thin.

Quick Reply: 86 f-150 wobble and clunk in front end