Ride quality on FX4 package

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002 | 09:22 AM
|
Ride quality on FX4 package

What kind of ride quality can I expect from the FX4 package on a 2003 F150 (interstate, country, off road)? Are the rancho shocks adjustable? I don't have a local dealer with a truck in stock that has the FX4 package. I have ocassional back problems to deal with but I would really like the FX4 package in a new truck. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Lamar

Old 12-14-2002 | 09:02 PM
Interstate--firmer than a non-FX4...not mushy...feels more controlled than a standard 4x4. Feels more connected to the road
Country--less body roll in corners--drives nice
Off road--soaks up bumps pretty well...could be better with better shocks--kind of jouncy at times
Are the rancho shocks adjustable? No...I wouldn't exactly call them Rancho's either. They are a shock Rancho made specifically for Ford to Ford's specs. IMHO, they are OEM shocks painted white with a sticker on them.
I don't have a local dealer with a truck in stock that has the FX4 package If you are ordering your truck, you can get the package on it.
I have ocassional back problems to deal with but I would really like the FX4 package in a new truck. Same here...the ride isn't a factor

Good Luck--HTH

Old 12-15-2002 | 01:09 AM
I was looking at getting an FX4 F-150, but it was crew cab (I'd have bought a car if I wanted the passengers to be comfy and I needed the 6' box) and it was too expensive. The salesman said that the FX4 was similar to the offroad package when driven on the streets, but was much better offroad. Can anybody back this up? To me it seems like Ford changed the name of the offroad package and slapped a different sticker on the bed.

Old 12-15-2002 | 01:23 AM
Account Suspended For 30 Days For Using Multiple Screen Names
FX-4

I own a Bit Company and I have 10 F-350 Crew Cabs 8 are XLT 1 Lariat 1 KIng Ranch. 3 are 03 model years and the differance is night and day. Being the trucks are loaded to there capacity then some the body roll problem is solved I drove my Truck like a Subreu WRX and even had the box slide around and slapped the bridge deck, and the truck and I laid upside down in a creek. Being I don' t drive bit truck anymore due to a accident , I hired my brother and he drives like I did and there is a world of difference between FX-4 and the regular package. There is no compremise in the ride just make sure you get the power seat.

Old 12-17-2002 | 12:08 AM
i like my fx4 package. even more when i tossed the facotry rancho shocks and put on real rancho shocks. that was night and day. now it rides sooo much better. good luck with your choice.

Old 12-17-2002 | 10:15 AM
I'm on my third regular cab / short box 4x4 with either the Off Road (ORP) or Fx4 package and the Class 3 towing package. (1997 ORP, 1999 ORP, 2002 Fx4). Since the short box regular cab has the shortest wheel base and therefore probably the worst ride, please take my comments for what they're worth.

I like everything about the ORP / Fx4 package except for the new Rancho shocks (which as you have seen are not real Ranchos). My previous two trucks semed to ride much nicer. Pot holes (which we have lots of here) tend to feel pretty harsh with the Fx4 package - more so that the ORP. Several people have posted here saying that replacing the shocks with real Ranchos makes a huge difference. Either way, the truck does handle well for a 4x4.

I'd also suggest that simply adding the Class 3 Towing Package - since it includes HD (not fake Rancho) shocks, but not the 17" wheels - probably gives you most of the benefits. Yes, the Fx4 package looks neater, but look what you have to pay to get it.

Does the ride feel bad enough to mess up a bad back? I don't think so.

Old 12-17-2002 | 03:51 PM
2stroked

I posted this question in another forum, but didn't get any answers. I also have an fx4 with the class 3 towing package. However, it did come with the "fake ranchos". This leads me to believe I do not have the same HD shocks that would normally come with the class 3 towing package. I just have the regular fx4 "ranchos". Did your fx4 come with ranchos or ford OEM HD shocks? Just wondering.

Old 12-17-2002 | 07:03 PM
Lamar:

Since you have back problems, let me reiterate what bluelightening mentioned.....make sure you get the power drivers seat (the power pedals may or may not help you out.....I like 'em). Also, you might want to compare the cloth seats with the leather....made a difference for me.

Good luck
ernie

Old 12-17-2002 | 07:51 PM
|
Thanks for the reply's. It sounds like the FX4 package is what I want. I will probably be ordering a truck with the FX4 and the class 3 tow package.

Thanks

Old 12-18-2002 | 07:05 AM
SLCScrew,

Mine came with the famous white fake Rancho shocks. I'm not sure how much different they are than the HD shocks that come with the Towing package. Funny thing though, with the old Off Road Package, if you ordered that and the Towing Package, there was a credit because some of the equipment overlapped - like maybe the shocks?

I'm planning on pulling the factory Ranchos in the spring and replacing them with the real thing. I hear its good for a much improved ride.

Old 12-18-2002 | 10:32 AM
Yeah, I'm planning on changing them out eventually. However, here in Utah, we have plenty of off-roading opportunity, from mountain woods, to sand, to red-rock desert, so I'm planning on giving these so-called "ranchos" a work out before I change them out for new ones. Right now, I'm cruising in the snow. I feel sorry for all those people without 4 wheel drive.

Old 12-18-2002 | 06:59 PM
Unhappy

I love my FX4 but am now curious if mine, with the class 3 tow package, has the HD shocks.

Old 12-19-2002 | 06:22 AM
Don't worry, Rancho shocks - even the fake ones that come with the Fx4 package - are considered Heavy Duty.

Old 12-19-2002 | 12:02 PM
GEEMAN

If you get just the C3 towing package, you get HD shocks, rather than the normal stock shocks. However, if you get the fx4 package, you get the ranchos, whether or not you have the towing package. At least that seems to be the general consensus. Like 2stroked said, the ranchos are considered Heavy Duty. At least by Ford, anyway.

Old 12-19-2002 | 06:06 PM
SLCScrew,

Thanks for the info

.....GEEMAN

Quick Reply: Ride quality on FX4 package