Towing & Hauling

Hooking tow rope to rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hooking tow rope to rear axle

I recently purchased a 1999 F-150 4x4 without a tow package. I have not had a chance to add one yet. Today I was coming down the mountain when I noticed somebody stuck in the snow. I helped him out by pulling him back onto the road. Since I have no tow package or a hitch on the bumper, I had to hook the tow rope onto my rear axle. I pulled him out pretty lightly (no major jerking). Is there any damage that I could have done to my truck? Where is the best place to hook the tow rope until I can get a tow package? Thanks.

Old 12-21-2002, 07:54 PM
I would have put the rope in the hole in bumper where the ball hitch goes.

Old 12-21-2002, 08:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

Most tow straps have some sort of 'hook' on them. I would have attached it around the frame/bumper bracket at the very minimum.

At the worst, you could have ripped the axle from the leaf springs, but if that didn't happen, you are probably ok.

It's great that you helped the person out, but you should always attach a tow strap to the frame of both vehicles to avoid the possibility of 'bending' something.....

Old 01-10-2003, 01:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check your brake lines that run across the rear axle

Old 01-24-2003, 04:09 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Do you have front tow hooks? Next time attach the rope there. Better yet lose the rope and buy a strap and some shakels.
For info on "how to" check out;
http://www.geocities.com/~landroverp...ery_Straps.htm

For an idea of what gear is available check out;
http://www.recoverygear.com/DEFAULT1.HTM

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 01-27-2003, 06:19 PM
You should never use tow ropes that have hooks attached to it to pull anyone out. Should it come loose, it will become a missle and will cause Death to anyone it hits. Buy a tow strap.
You should not connect to the axle, as you could pull it right off the truck. Always attache to the frame of the vehicle.
Buy 3 feet of heavy duty chain, a clevas ring and wrap the chain around the frame, then attach th etow strap to the clevas ring and attach to the chain, or buy some tow hooks and bolt (do not weld) them to your frame with grade 8 bolts. Hope this helps

Old 01-27-2003, 07:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Since you were doing the pulling and not being pulled by the axle and there was no jerking you should be ok. Most snow pulls are low force pulls, and you don't have much traction to begin with. Good idea to check your break lines as suggested.

I would have gone with the fron tow hooks. If you have an XL then you may not have the tow hooks. I would put some on if it were my truck. The holes are there for tow hooks, you just don't have threads in the holes like an XLT has for the FORD stock tow hooks.

I use the front tow hooks most of the time. I just learned in this thread that using the hitch is better if the strap breaks. I'll remember that.

I picked up a Reese receiver tow hook (10,000#) that I'm look forward to pulling with. Also picked up a Highland 20' tow stap that's 2" wide and says it has a 20,000 lb break strength at SAM's. I don't know its working strength.

Quick Reply: Hooking tow rope to rear axle