Towing & Hauling

Towing recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing recommendations

My bro has a 2001 FX4, with the 5.4, Auto and 3.55 gears. We are looking at purchasing a multiple spot motorcycle trailer to go around the country with. Do you think the we would be safe in getting a 26' fully enclosed tandem trailer. Or is that too much for the truck to pull? I know what the manual says for weight restrictions, but what do you guys feel is a safe weight to stay at, without putting too much strain on the truck. I appreciate your insight.

Old 12-30-2002, 02:43 PM
I doubt the weight will be a problem, you will probably only be at about 1/2 to 2/3 of max weight. The "load" comes from the wind resistance of the large enclosed trailer body. Try to get one with a sloped front. you have a pretty good setup for towing, the engine and chassis should do fine, the weak point is the 4r70 tranny. dragging that trailer along for extended periods at high speed could get it hot. I would recommend keeping speeds around 60 mph and having your tranny fluid changed more often depending on how often you tow. a tranny temp guage would be nice...

Old 12-30-2002, 02:51 PM
Hi Tony

Looking at your GCWR for that truck...thats what its capabilities are.

I tow/loaded etc. about 3/400# under max. ratings.

What a/t does the 01 truck have. Is it the "4R70W"? If so..hopefully its stronger than the one in my 99SC.

Mark K. knows alot about these a/t...maybe he can tell you if the 01 a/t is stronger than the earlier models?

IMO....the a/t could be your weak link? You may luck out as many do and no troubles. Wish i could say the same.

Good luck...OT

Old 12-30-2002, 04:01 PM
You didn't say if you had the towing package or not...that will make a big difference. If you don't have it you open the door to a lot of issues:transcooler, what hitch, weight distributing hitch? etc; and if you did there are still issues:which brake controller(required for a trailer that size in Indiana BTW) etc etc.

Any way you slice it a trailer that is fully loaded at about 5000-6000# would be a good choice, then plow the rest of the $ into a good brake controller, heavier rated tires (if needed), trans temp gauge, etc.

Keep it under 65mph, not just a good idea-it's the law in Indiana.

Old 01-10-2003, 01:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
with just motorcycles in the trailer you shouldn't have a problem. Just be careful with the wind

Quick Reply: Towing recommendations