Towing & Hauling

Weight in bed for traction

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Weight in bed for traction

Not sure where to post this, so i thought i would start here. I was wondering how much weight (if any) most people were carrying in their bed for traction. Winter is here and we have had some snow. I currently have 300 lbs (sand tubes) and i am going to get some more today. I think i need around 500 lbs.

Old 01-14-2003, 03:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

One trick to try with an "open" diff, is to lightly apply the 'E' brake. What this does is slow up the wheel that is spinning, and will transfer some power to the other wheel that actually has some traction. Just apply more gas as the brake starts to grab.

Won't work in 100% of all situations, but will usually get you going from a stop light on semi level ground when all you are doing is spinning that right wheel.

IMO, #300 is plenty additional weight. Any more, and you start to take away from what the added weight does for traction and what it takes to actually move that additional weight.

Old 01-14-2003, 05:04 PM
I second that!

I completely agree with the above post

(MAN, I want to add a locker)

Old 01-17-2003, 08:32 AM
I have 150Lbs of sand in the back plus the hard tonneau cover. I need a little more. In past winters ablout 250lbs seems to work for me.

I have LS and love it. The only thing you need to watch is that when it does break loose the back end swings right away. with an open diff. one wheel spins but the other will hold your place on the road easier that a second spinning wheel with the LS.

Old 01-17-2003, 12:31 PM
Whenever we are supposed to get snow, I typically put 3 limestone blocks I have in the bed of my truck as far back as possible- probably 100-130 pounds . Another thing to add weight is fill up your gas tank. A gallon of gas weighs about 8 lbs, therefore 8lbs/gal x 30 gals = about 240 lbs.

Old 01-18-2003, 04:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We got 7 inches of snow in Nashville the other day ans what ever snow that fell into the bed and what I put in there from the roof and bed rails gave me enough traction to get going had no problems and I have a open rear just put the truck into 2nd gear and had no problems what so ever

Quick Reply: Weight in bed for traction