Towing & Hauling

Going to Tow, where to start

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to Tow, where to start

I've got the '00 F-150 HD,
I'm looking to tow 2 heavy bikes (750lb ea.) this summer.
Longest trip would be 900mi. each way.

So far I'm thinking of putting on a hidden hitch, in the 5-6,000 lb range.
but as far as weight ratings and so on,
I'll be using a u-haul trailer and I'd like some input from some guys that have been there already....

(Riding the bikes that far is out of the question with lower back injuries)

Old 01-14-2003, 07:56 PM
I thought I had heard somewhere that the HD has a very low towing capacity....???

I'll check on this and get back to you.

Old 01-15-2003, 08:22 AM
I have to admit I don't know much about HD's, the wallet can't handle it now; so you'll have to educate us on your truck.

What is the engine/trans/and axle code? I don't believe the HD has a tow rating, but we should be able to put something together for you.

Old 01-15-2003, 11:49 AM
I'm going to bring the owners manual into work today and read it through, I'll try and come up with some stats,
I'm almost positive the rear end is 3.55, but the truck also has the lightning suspension system to make it lower and handle better than the regular 4x2.
I'll try and fill in more variables later on today....

Old 01-15-2003, 11:56 AM
I would guess that you have a V8 (naturally), but is it manual or auto? It makes a big difference in towing capacity.

Manual or auto, I can't see that your load would be much more than 3000#, so the short answer is that you should be ok.

There are a number of things to consider:

You probably have soft tires, no brake controller, soft suspension, etc; so before we go too far get back with the rest of the specs.

Last edited by flafonman; 01-15-2003 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:30 PM
I'm heading off to work now, but before I go,
it's a 4x2, automatic, 5.8L It's also got the radiator for the transmission fluid..

I imagine the total load weight of the bikes to be maximum of 1550 lbs.

Old 01-15-2003, 05:01 PM
Haiweigh,

You're fine. Your HD F-150 has a max. trailer weight capy. of 4500 lbs. It's still a 1/2 ton truck so the tongue weight at 10% (450lbs.) is fine.

Trending Topics

Old 01-15-2003, 05:39 PM
sounds cool bikenut,
have you (or any that read this) ever towed 2 bikes using a uhaul trailer before?
I am now just curious about fastening 2 bikes to the trailer and the stabililty of it.

They have 2 choices, the 5'x9' seems like it would be a bit cramped for 2 bikes, so I was thinking 6'x12'.
Maybee I can get a plank to lay across the front and cut out areas for the front tires to sit, like chocks. But I'm not sure about the whole tiedown situation, I wouldn't want the bikes to fall into each other.... or off the sides!

Old 01-15-2003, 07:12 PM
As far as bikes, I have only carried one in the bed and one in a trailer.

It sounds like you're carrying cruisers at that weight so I would definately go with the bigger trailer for space and stability.

You can buy individual front wheel chocks that bolt to the floor of the tailer. ~ I, personally, would strongly suggest this if you want a good permanent trailering setup.

Then, with the front wheel firmly in the chock, you use Canyon Dancers and tie down straps and you will be set.

Here's Canyon Dancers' site: (Great product for a cherished bike )

http://www.canyondancer.com/

Old 01-22-2003, 06:45 PM
Haiweigh

Shouldn't have any problem towing those 2 bikes.

When i owned i that truck i towed 2 Harleys and 2 Jap bikes to Daytona and back with zero problems.

I bought a DrawTight hitch and it bolted up very nicely.
The trailer was a 14ft. enclosed bike trailer, rode beautiful and got pretty good gas mileage both ways.

Sorry for taking the hitch off but i put it on my 02' Harley truck.

Let me know if i can help

FMSINC1@aol.com

Chris

Old 02-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Exclamation Trailers

If I'm not mistaken, the 5X9 is a single axle and the 6X12 is a double. If thats true, your better off with the double. Not only is there more room, but the double supports more weight, tends to sway less, and also is less "jouncy' over bumps. The single tends to see-saw more over the dips and transmits the jounce to the trailer hitch. On a long haul, that gets old real quick.

As far as tie-downs, all the U-Hauls I've pulled didn't have squat. It's a rental so you can't drill any holes. The only thing I can think of is to get a pair of "load bars" which can be found at any decent truck-stop. They consist of a 9 foot expanding alluminum pole with rubber feet at both ends and a ratchet mechanism in the middle. The're made to stretch from wall to wall in the trailer then expand and lock in via the ratchet. You could sit them on the floor, lock them in and use them as chocks. Once the're locked you can maybe run tie-downs from them up to the handlebars, I don't know. They do make a pickup sized version load bar but it would be too short . The big-rig size are way long but are easily cut down with a hacksaw.

Quick Reply: Going to Tow, where to start