Towing & Hauling

7 pin trailer hookup

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7 pin trailer hookup

If I have the 7 pin trailer hookup does that mean I have the elec. for my elec. brakes on my trailer? If you have any info it would be greatly apreceaited, Thanks Jeff

Old 01-28-2003, 12:13 AM
Hi Jeff

Probably. One way to check...just use test meter/light...check out each pin. Easier to do with two people. Or....

Plug TT in. Have someone stand along side by TT tires...other person inside cab activates brake controller (you do have one, right?) If juice going to magnets (which activate brakes) you'll hear humming.

Oh, if problems with 7 pin connector...double check fuses/relays.

Good luck....OT

btw...you may already know...but you may find that the 12V chg. circuit from the 7pin connector..is only hot when you have ign. key turned on or engine running. Trying to recall...but the elect.brake circuit on 7 pin maybe hot all the time? You'll find out quick enough. Not complicated. This is what i recall so JMO!

Old 01-28-2003, 08:49 AM
This is from an earlier post, but it covers a lot of ground:

If you don't have any luck there are a few other things you can check. The harness for the trailer wires runs along the driver's side frame. A few feet in front of the rear bumper there is a connection in the harness for changing the 4-pin to a 6/7 pin connector for those folks who didn't get a factory tow package and want to upgrade. Check the connection for corrosion. Check your plug on the hitch and the trailer as well. The wires connected to the trailer plug can take a beating if you do a lot of backing etc. so see if you have a broken wire. The wires you want are the Yellow and the Green.

Not that you asked but...
4-Pin Connector
Brown=Tail Lights
Yellow=Left Turn
Green=Right Turn
White=Ground

Yellow and Green are energized at the same time for Brake lights

6-Pin Connector
Same as above +
Blue=Electric Trailer Brakes
Black=Aux 12V power (winch battery etc.)

I have seen various colors used for the 7th pin (usually red), it is most often used for back-up lights.

The fuses you need to look at are under the hood in a box that is often wrapped with electrical tape, mounted on the left fender.

Mini fuse #1 (20A) Trailer lamps and backup relay
Maxi fuse #16 (40A) Trailer battery
Maxi Fuse #28 (30A) Electric Brake controller

Good Luck, and Tow Safe!

Last edited by flafonman; 01-28-2003 at 08:59 AM.

Quick Reply: 7 pin trailer hookup