Towing & Hauling

Question on truck charging trailer battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on truck charging trailer battery

I did a search on "connector" and have the part to upgrade to the dual 7 pin and 4 pin trailer connector. But I still need some help. Our tent trailer has its own battery and I want the truck to charge it as we tow between campsites. My 2001 doesn't have the towing package (4 pin only). Will my truck charge that battery once the new connector is installed? The trailer has a 7 pin connector. Some have mentioned 2 relays for backup lights and trailer battery charging.

1) I don't understand the function of a relay and why they are necessary

2) Can anyone tell me exactly what to look for and where to look to see if my truck has these relays

The Ford parts guys were unable to help me with the relay question.

I don't have trailer brakes so the pigtail connection is not a concern.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 02-15-2003, 02:26 PM
You will need the relay to complete the battery charge circuit. The nice thing about using OEM parts is that the battery circuit is closed only when the key is on. Your vehicle battery will not drain when parked and hooked-up. Many times, trailer shops will run a wire directly from the positive battery terminal to the trailer connector.

A relay is simply a switch powered by electricity.
I highly recommend anyone contemplating an electrical mod to read through the technical articles regarding electrical accessories. Excellent information.

technical articles

If you buy the relays, the parts counter should be able to show you their locations.

Last edited by Jimb; 02-15-2003 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-15-2003, 02:34 PM
Thank you Jimb

Quick Reply: Question on truck charging trailer battery