Towing & Hauling

overdrive or no overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question overdrive or no overdrive

Can someone give me advice about towing a trailer?
I have an '02 supercrew w/5.4L and am towing a 2000-2500 lbs single axle trailer. Someone told me to never pull in overdrive. Is this true all the time? How about on a flat interstate once a constant speed has been reached?
No overdrive= higher RPMs which= more $$ in gas.

Thanks

Old 11-05-2003, 06:24 PM
You are right about MPG - more rev's drinks more juice.

I tow a 5500lb travel trailer in OD all the time. The only thing to avoid is "hunting" - when the trans shifts down, then back up, then back down, and so forth. That will cook it.

Once the hunting starts, just push the little OD button. You truck will drop into third and stay there (unless it needs to down shift to second, of course).

As you become more familiar with your truck while towing, you will anticipate the "hunting" conditions and disengage OD proactively - that's what I do.

Happy towing!

Old 11-05-2003, 07:42 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use overdrive when I tow as well, in the 1500-3500 ponnd range. As long as the transmission is not hunting, or even going in and out of torque convertor lockup, I keep it in overdrive.

Old 11-06-2003, 12:54 PM
I agree w/ APT and sooo_alive. Use OD until the tranny starts shifting in and out of OD, or if the torque converter starts engaging/disengaging.

Also, if you are going down steep grades, turn the OD off instead of riding your brakes.

Old 11-06-2003, 06:44 PM
i towed a 7,000lbs car trailer from chicago to sw oregon and my 19.6' crownline runabout from sandiego to sw oregon. with cruise on and in OD. took overdrive out before long low inclines and steep hills, and if it started hunting. and held the motor below 3000rpm during the climbs. got the best mpg that way and the truck walked right up the hills and passed when asked to.

and i would suggest you add an electric brake controler. if you've got the 7 pin conector the wireing is all ready done, just add the controler and the wire harness from the dealer and your done. it's a real stress reducer when you apply brakes and feel the trailer pull back on your truck insted of push forward against it. ecspecialy in the white stuff.

when i asked the FORD tranny guy at the dealer were i bought the truck. He said the new tranny's were ment to be driven with OD on all the time for ecconomy, but to shut them off when they can't decide what gear they want to be in. or you know you don't want them in that gear.

Quick Reply: overdrive or no overdrive