Towing & Hauling

fuel consumption : '99 F150 4.6L V8 towing 3 motorcycles ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel consumption : '99 F150 4.6L V8 towing 3 motorcycles ??

hi guys, first time posting. i'm writing from TORONTO, CANADA where my buddy just bought a '99 F150 4x4 4.6L V8 just so we can head to DAYTONA BEACH for BIKE WEEK in about a months time !! (can't wait) anyway, need a bit of advice on towing. should we be getting a trailer to tow all 3 motorcycles or maybe put one in the cab & tow the other 2 ?? and as well, what kind of fuel consumption can we expect ?? the trip will be over 1300miles one way so this is an expense we have to be ready for. please help me out. thanks.

Old 01-25-2004, 10:01 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I estimate towing less than 3,000 lbs with minimal wind resistance should impact your mpg by no more than 25%.

I do not know the mileage of the truck in question but, whatever the highway mileage is for the next month X 75 percent should be the ballpark when hauling the bikes.

So, if you get 20 now, I would predict 15, 16 would be 12, etc...

p.s. Once you reach Virginia, 'No More Tolls

Old 01-25-2004, 11:33 PM
alright, thanks for your help raoul .. appreciate it. as to the towing method, you think trailing all 3 bikes is best or put one in the cab & trailer the 2 ?? thanks .. george

Old 01-26-2004, 01:12 AM
you think trailing all 3 bikes is best or put one in the cab & trailer the 2 ?? thanks .. george
That's a matter of personal preference. I'd put all 3 on the trailer, no extra work involved.

What kind of trailer are you towing?

This set up, with my 4 wheeler and gear, runs ~2200#, and I get ~10mpg.

Old 01-26-2004, 08:04 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't know if you are getting an open trailer or closed a trailer.
It makes a difference. An open trailer weighs less than a closed trailer and a closed trailer is like a giant sail.

If going from a two bike trailer to a three bike trailer causes you to go from open to closed then stay with the two bike open trailer and put one in the bed.

If you are getting an open or closed regardless of the number of bikes it holds then put all three in the trailer.

I mention this because you stated you don't have a trailer yet and gas mileage is a concern.

Old 01-26-2004, 07:34 PM
thanks 'raoul' & 'silent bob' for the great info.

as of yet, i'm not sure what kind of trailer we're gonna be running ... i guess that's up to UHAUL or any other trailer rental place around here ( depending on what they got to offer ??? ) . i don't think we're gonna go with "closed" one because i'm sure they're more expensive plus as you both mentioned the weight&fuel disadvantage. in regards to the extra work involved in getting a bike in the bed .. its alright 'cause there'll be 3 of us so no big deal. can't wait, it'll be our first time bringing the bikes down south. up here we're lucky to get 5mths riding time so DAYTONA sun will be fully enjoyed. thanks again guys ..

Old 02-23-2004, 02:31 PM
speaking as a fellow biker who has done some trailering, i would recommend all three in the trailer. use the bed of the truck for gear, clothes,coolers, etc.
as far as which trailer i would say enclosed, weather can be pretty crappy this time of year, and if possible i would definitely want my bikes covered for protection.
do not put them on an open trailer with a cover over the bikes. your paint will look terrible when you get there. flapping covers can do some serious damage.
don't forget to properly tie them down. i've seen quite a few guys bikes get layed down in the trailer from improper tie down technique.
give us the full report when you get home. have fun.

Quick Reply: fuel consumption : '99 F150 4.6L V8 towing 3 motorcycles ??