Towing & Hauling

Easy Trailer Brake Hookup?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Easy Trailer Brake Hookup?

My 99 has the flat four at the hitch, and I would like to put he 7 pin in. What is needed, and is there an easy install for the brake control? There is a plug underneath the steering column, is this for the controller? Thanks for the help. Also, is the factory harness worth buying or should I do something else?

Thanks

Old 02-16-2004, 09:56 PM
I don't know what the factory wiring harnas goes for, but I got mine for my Prodigy for $11 I think it was when I got the controller. That will plug into the one under the dash and then your controller is set to go. On the back you'll have to see if you have the power wire running back there to splice into. On mine it was capped off and tied up out of the way. I'm not sure if mine has the towing package or not so this might be a standard feature. Anyhow you'll need to splice into that wire for aux power, one for brakes, and one for ground. You can buy 7 round plugs that have a 4 flat connector on them so you'll just have to splice the 3 other wires I listed. Follow the link and run that. I was going to get that for mine, but my trailer already had 6 round and didn't feel like paying shipping to get it online so I just stuck with 6 round.

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/me...ategory_Code=A

Old 02-17-2004, 09:41 PM
I would advise getting the harness for the brake controller, can be got at your ford dealer or most catalog sales, also, when hooking up the 7 pin, the connection needs to be made at the connector above the rear wheel on the drivers side. There is a harness available to connect into the connector there and has the 7 pin on it, I went to the trouble of splicing the three extra wires there, wished I had gotten the harness. also there may be 2 relays needed under the hood to provide charging when going down the road and backup lights I think, and a couple of fuses. This information pertains to my 01' model so I not sure about the 99' hope this helps.

Old 03-01-2004, 01:00 PM
So what is that plug under the steering column then? Is that for a brake controller to just plug in?

I have one of those plugs too, on the right hand side. Mine is in a 2000 Expy. Incidently, I also have to switch the 4 plug harness in the back over to a 7 pin....

- Vince

Old 03-04-2004, 11:33 PM
Yes, the plug under the dash, to the right of the steering column is for the brake controller. Your truck, if bought new, should have a short adapter harness which is used to connect the controller to the trucks electrical/lighting system. My brake controller cost $70.00 at Discount Auto Parts, and took about 30 minutes to install. Easy do-it-yourself project.

Old 03-06-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Yankee7985
Yes, the plug under the dash, to the right of the steering column is for the brake controller. Your truck, if bought new, should have a short adapter harness which is used to connect the controller to the trucks electrical/lighting system. My brake controller cost $70.00 at Discount Auto Parts, and took about 30 minutes to install. Easy do-it-yourself project.
Thanks! I bought my Expedition used, so I guess I'll have to visit the Ford dealer to get a replacement adapter harness...

- Vince

Old 03-07-2004, 08:59 PM
You can buy the adapter harnesses at the same places online that sell the brake controllers, they're not expensive. Hook right up...

Terry

Quick Reply: Easy Trailer Brake Hookup?