Towing & Hauling

Hauling a motorcycle...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hauling a motorcycle...

Anybody here haul a motorcycle in the back of an F150 in a 5'5" bed?

I'm looking for a good bike rack to go into a 2004 F150.

Specifically one that can be installed with NO DRILLING!

One that goes in and out quickly and that includes some kind of wheel chock.

The bike is a pretty big Harley.

Thanks in advance!

David T.

Old 02-20-2004, 05:02 PM
Baxley makes chocks, but you’re still going to have to fasten down the bike with straps. I can’t think of any non-permanent installation that you’ll get away with without some sort of fastening down.

http://www.baxleycompanies.com/
http://www.baxleycompanies.com/Image...ock-zx9pup.jpg

Old 03-01-2004, 10:43 PM
You may want to try US Racks. They have what you are looking for. You may want to double check to see if it will work with the weight of the Harley.
http://www.usrack.com/motorcycle_rack.html

David

Old 03-01-2004, 11:38 PM
Thanks Dave.

I already found that rack supplier on the web and you're right, that's the one I want. Looks clean and it's a no-drill installation.

I'll end up buying the stainless one.

I wish I knew someone who already has one to ask them how well the rig works.

Thanks again!

David T.

Old 03-02-2004, 08:12 AM
I have the stainless version. I have used it to haul dirt bikes. I have not used it on a street bike. The only problem I had with it was the mounting screws were too short and I had to cut approximately 1" off of the female piece to get it to fit in my F150 Stepside. Overall, it is a very good system. It is easy to install and remove. One thing it does not show very well in the diagrams is the proper position of the wheel chocks. You have to mount the chocks so that the tire does not touch the bed of the truck. If the tire touches the bed it will push the rack up away from the bed rail. If you have any questions about the rack let me know.

David

Old 03-02-2004, 08:33 AM
Hey Dave,

You have one? Great!

Here's a question for you:

When you clamp/mount the rack does the clamp/bolt/any part of it dig into or scratch the bed sides, or underneath or on top of the bed rail?

In other words, when you remove it, can you tell in any way that it was on there?

Also, would it interfere or damage the bedliner underneath/sides/on top?

I called them last week and they did tell me that the chocks have to stay off the floor of the bed. This ensures the rack stays in place for some reason?

I guess I'll see why that's important when I set it up.

It's probably because it uses the weight of the front end of the bike to keep the rack in place.

I considered the other type of rack they have, the one that wraps a 'C' clamp around the rim of the front wheel.

That one looks like it would damage the rim if the bike ever tugs on the clamp in transit. Too risky for a heavy bike.

But I do like that one better because it uses the stack pole holes, rather than squeasing the clamp around the bed rail.

But like I said, the 'C' clamp on the rim eliminates that rig for me.

And did you have to cut the screws because you have a stepside?

I wonder if I'll need to do that for a styleside?

Thanks again and I'll probably have a few more questions down the road.

Thanks Dave!

David T.

Old 03-02-2004, 11:56 AM
It will not work with an over the rail liner unless you cut a hole in it. I have an under the rail liner and rail pads. The clamp is composed of a thick rubber mounted L type bracket. The rubber piece tightens up against the bottom of the rail. If your liner does not go over the rail, I would recommend using something between the rack and the rail. The metal to paint could damage the finish. On my truck you cannot see any sign of damage caused by mounting the rack. It is easy and quick to install.

Regarding the front tire on the bed issue. The first time I used the unit my tire was lightly touching the bed. As I tighted down the tie-downs on the bike I noticed the rack started to lift off the bed. I re-adjusted the chocks to get the tire off the bed and the problem went away. It is a very sturdy design if it is used properly. Another nice feature of the chocks is it will hold your bike once the tire is in the chock.

I also looked at the clamping model. I was planning to use some padding if I used it for my street bike.

Regarding the bolt issue. The bolts I received were too short. I purchased some longer bolts from Lowes. The first time I tried to mount the unit was in a styleside with rail pads. The bolts were too short. I purchased longer bolts before I tried my stepside.

I hope this helps.

David

Trending Topics

Old 03-02-2004, 12:04 PM
David T.

During your research did you run across a mounting system similiar to what is offered on the Titan? I am looking to trade my 99 for an 04. Before I do that I would like to find an adjustable system like the Titan. So far I have not had any luck.

Thanks,
David

Old 03-02-2004, 12:43 PM
Ho Dave, I wasn't even aware of the Titan rig. I just went to the Nissan website and the picts were'nt very good so I can't tell if it would be good enough for a bike.

I have looked at alot of them though and the best no-drill, easy on-off model has been the one we've been talking about.

I'll pass on any others I come across because it's going to be a few months before I buy anything.

I'm buying a new (2005) F150 next Fall and taking it, with a few of my buddies, from Boston to Sturgis in 2005. One bike's going in the bed (mine) and the other two will be on a trailer.

One more question:

Please forgive my ignorance but when you say I'd have to cut a hole in the bedliner if it was an over-the-top application, where would I cut it? Does the bedliner cover up something?

And after it was cut, would the over-the-top bedliner by itself be sufficient to protect the bedrail finish?

You know now that you mention it, the 'C' clamp model just might work with alot of padding around the rim. Hmmm...

Old 03-02-2004, 01:25 PM
If it is one like I use to have, you could not clamp something to the rail. If yours wraps around the rail (top and bottom) you may be ok. The rubber tipped L bracket has to tighten against the underside of the rail. The best way to describe it is imagine trying to install a large C clamp on your rail. If you have no problems with a C clamp, you should be fine. Also, you should not have any problems with the overhang on the liner. Most of the ones I have seen are pretty wide. The rack bracket is not that wide.

I may wait on the 05 model. So far I have not been happy with the interior color options for the 04 model. The light cream color is too light for use in a truck and the black would be too hot for the Florida climate. I am waiting to see what they offer in the 05 model.

David

Old 03-02-2004, 01:35 PM
Florida huh?

I lived in Jupiter in the early 1990's.

Loved it down there.

And like you said it get's hot as hell there too.

Quick Reply: Hauling a motorcycle...